Hips

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Hips

Postby roosterbrews » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:22 am

Just checking what is the preferred method of testing to clear hips for breeding? My PP has done very well in testing and a great hunter so I thought I would take the next step. He is 3 1/2 now is it too late?
roosterbrews
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Hips

Postby JASmith » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:11 pm

There are two methods, Penn Hip and OFA. OFA is more common and cheaper. Whichever your vet will do will fit the bill.
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:10 pm

Not too late. Penn-HIP gives you a number, a precise rating. OFA gives a rating that is far less accurate.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GRIFF MAN » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:02 am

[quote="orhunter"]Not too late. Penn-HIP gives you a number, a precise rating. OFA gives a rating that is far less accurate.[/quote

???? Explain your thoughts on this. Please.
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:18 am

Let's say a dog is rated fair by OFA. We have no idea if it's the low end or the high end of the rating. Some folks would breed with such a rating but if it's the high (loose) end of the range, we wouldn't, but we don't know where the dog actually fits.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:58 pm

Or just decide if the dog is rated fair, you won't breed. Or you will only breed to a dog with excellent hips.

There's no perfect system. In an ideal world the dog would be rated Pennhip at the ideal age. I believe Pennhip is so specific that its value decreases in older dogs. I'm not 100% sure if I'm misremembering though...
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:48 pm

OFA Excellent, Good and Fair are all considered to be in the "Normal" range.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:04 am

Penn Hip costs money and it may eliminate your dog as a breeder, which is the idea. We have turned down dogs who had a Penn hip less than the median.

Do you have a request from a bitch owner to breed to your dog?

For example to breed to our bitches, a dog needs a UT 204 score, Penn hips above the median and no health or behavior problems noted by NAVHDA on his pedigree, and no common relatives with our dog.

By using these criteria we have bred some excellent pups.

Good luck.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GRIFF MAN » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:58 pm

Densa44 wrote:Penn Hip costs money and it may eliminate your dog as a breeder, which is the idea. We have turned down dogs who had a Penn hip less than the median.

Do you have a request from a bitch owner to breed to your dog?

For example to breed to our bitches, a dog needs a UT 204 score, Penn hips above the median and no health or behavior problems noted by NAVHDA on his pedigree, and no common relatives with our dog.

By using these criteria we have bred some excellent pups.

Good luck.

I get the rest, most everyone is doing that. I have a question with the 204...lots of good dogs that are breed worthy may not have the training or owner to achieve a 204....
I have seen VC dogs that I would not own or that had hard time pointing a woodcock....Do you only rely on scores as the basis for your breeding program?
If a dog gets a 200 your not using him as a stud ??

Griffman
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:09 pm

Gotta be a misprint....? A good huntin' dog probably won't get a 4 in cooperation....so not a 204 but a huntin' machine.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:08 pm

We are on to a bit different topic, I'm not sure if this is the place to discuss NAVHDA scores, but I will say that the comments are correct. The rub is for the puppy customer, just one person amoung the 400 million or so that make up our 2 countries, what information is available to him when he is choosing a puppy? Just the NAVHDA.

Yes I know for sure that there are trainers that can make a VC out of just about any dog, so your suspicions are right I personally have additional criteria.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:52 pm

I never had my dogs hips tested in thirty years and never had hip problems. Then again, I wasn't being dictated to by a club. Two dogs rated excellent can produce dysplastic dogs. Tells people that testing isn't the answer.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:15 pm

I don't know about other breeds, but in Labs, breeding Excellent x Excellent results in a 3.5% chance of dysplasia.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Calvinator » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:05 am

Lots of emphasis is placed on hip ratings. Sometimes some people put too much emphasis. Literature suggests that pups are typically born with normal hips. Environmental and nutritional factors play a significant role in muscular skeletal development.
I use the PennHip method as I feel the info provided is more relevant.
I seen dogs with ok scores produce pups with great scores. I've also seen dogs with great scores produce pups with ok scores. As a breeder, you take the info you have, make the best choices and move forward. Sometimes to move forward, you may take a set or two backwards.
FYI: you don't see field trial pointers or greyhounds with hip scores. If they can't run and win, they don't get bred.

Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Calvinator » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:12 am

Densa44

[quote]For example to breed to our bitches, a dog needs a UT 204 score, Penn hips above the median and no health or behavior problems noted by NAVHDA on his pedigree, and no common relatives with our dog.
/quote]

I'm curious to know how far back into the pedigree you go looking at "no common relatives"? Your stud of choice shares many common relatives within his own pedigree.

Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Breeding