Favorite whelping setup

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Favorite whelping setup

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:30 pm

The pup has exceeded expectations and we've decided to have a litter. The breeding has taken place, due early December. I've seen enough setups to know I want the pups to have access to the outdoors and plan to move them to an indoor/outdoor pen at 3 weeks of age.

Hubby and I are still disagreeing about whether pups should whelp in the kitchen or in the shop. While we debate where, I thought I'd ask for everyone's favorite whelping pens. Do you have a custom build, or a kiddie pool? What's your method??
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Favorite whelping setup

Postby ANick » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:31 pm

A disclaimer... I've not done the 'pup' thing yet... but.

Looking back over my pup's breeder's litter pics, I see this one a LOT. http://www.breederbase.com/

With that history and a look at the website, it seems pretty sensible. And the price doesn't seem hideous.

If you are handy, you might make something similar from light ply, cheaper. The concept is pretty common. I'd definitely opt for the puppy rails, much like the escape sides of a farrowing crate for pigs... same reason.

G'luck!!

Nick
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Densa44 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:52 pm

Is this a one shot project? If not we use a Jonart system and it is very good.

As far as where you put, I'd pick somewhere you don't mind spending a lot of time. If the whelping takes 24 hrs. nice surroundings is nice to have.

She will need to go out and you have to go with her.

The "pig rails" are very important, it keeps the mom from laying on a new born.

Any more questions just ask.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:32 pm

I never used pig rails and never had a problem and produced a lot of litters. Depends on how they are set up.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:38 am

I use, and love, the dura whelp boxes. Easy to clean and easy to store. I have the pen set up in my dining room which has a sliding glass door to the outside for potty training later. I actually put a mattress down in the room for her first litter, and slept by them for 2 weeks. Checking on every sqeak and making sure mom was doing what she was suppose to.
Second litter I was in there for 2 days. SHe told me she had it under control. :lol:
I also have a Dropcam on them 24/7 so if I am out and about I can just peek in and see how things are going. LAter I use it for future owners to see the pups as they grow,

But my dining room has a door to the hall that I can shut and an entrance to the kitchen that I gate off and add a curtain so that the other dogs dont bother mom and pups.
Later I take banquet tables and divide the room and make it smaller and smaller until they wake up and go to the door to go potty.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:03 pm

I am going to try a different ground cover for my next litter to more resemble the hard ground that pups can get a good grip on when crawling and walking. Looking into the thick stiff rubber used in horse stalls. No more slippery floors!
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Calvinator » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:11 pm

We whelp in our sunroom. Linoleum flooring, good lighting, heat if needed, AC if needed, good access to fenced yard, plenty of privacy if needed. Whelping area is a 4' high chain link pen with kiddie pool lined with indoor/outdoor carpet. I have extra of both for quick easy cleaning and disinfecting. Heat lamp over a portion of pool.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:25 pm

We decided to go high society. The durawhelp boxes looked great, but not for a chewer. I gotta admit the cheesy commercial and corner seat option were the big selling points. https://www.ezwhelp.com/products/fab-sy ... elping-box

Hubby is happy he didn't have to build another critter pen this year, and Ari seems indifferent.

Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Chadwick » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:52 pm

Looks nicer than my own bed! :lol:
Chadwick
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:20 am

Wow, that's a big box. I try to imagine what a natural den would be like for a whelping box. The dirt floor is probably ideal.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:53 pm

STait wrote:Wow, that's a big box. I try to imagine what a natural den would be like for a whelping box. The dirt floor is probably ideal.

I tried to imagine how much space 14 romping puppies would need. The box is easily modified into a 4x4 box if I decide I want less space next year.

No dirt floor option here, although the shop/outdoor pen they will move to at 4 weeks will be dirt. I'm going to coddle them the first few weeks then move them out. I was worried the concrete floor in January would suck the heat out of them. There was a definite difference in the puppy coat between my dog raised out of doors and the one raised indoors. I want them acclimated and ready to hit the field regardless of the weather as soon as they go home.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:02 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't think concrete would be good for them.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Breeding