Hunting with a pregnant bitch?

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Hunting with a pregnant bitch?

Postby GRIFF MAN » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:30 pm

hicntry wrote:How does one know he is picking the right male from La. to Canada. My guess is that the male also has Navhda tiles. Breeding to paper is pretty common these days.....don't even have to know the male at all today.

Communication is what we use to find males.
We travel, call the owner, call the breeder, call people that have seen or touched the dog.
Lots of ways to do it with out getting tied down to one dog that may be average.
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:00 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
hicntry wrote:How does one know he is picking the right male from La. to Canada. My guess is that the male also has Navhda tiles. Breeding to paper is pretty common these days.....don't even have to know the male at all today.

Possibly. Or you invite them to go hunting too. People frequently travel and hunt their dogs outside their neighborhood. At least our dogs actually hunt.

Lots of dogs hunt. Some good, some not so good.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:00 pm

Got a limit of ducks to-day and the dogs did fine.

The comments about finding a sire are excellent. It would be very helpful if there was more information out there. For our first litter we put an ad in the NAVHDA magazine and got a number of replys. We drove to L.A. saw Finnigan NA 112 and UT 202 no health problems. While we were there we went to train with Bodie NA 112 and UT 204. The pup we kept from the first breeding has a NA 112 and a UT 204 at 20 months. Her pups have all got a pz 1 or better so far and we expect all of the 10 to test, I think it is 7 so far.

As a breeder what I want to know is; pedigree, test scores, any genetic problems, the test records of any pups that they have produced. Penn Hip results, sperm count. Pictures are great.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Addicted2fowl » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:07 pm

How the dog hunts should also be a huge factor in a breeding program. Test scores are good but only show one day and tests don't show a dogs response to freezing temps. Most duck searches done in a real life hunting scenario will involve ice and freezing water temps. Not to mention you could have 2 204 dogs that hunt completely different from one another but you won't see that on paper.
"Real dogs have beards"
Addicted2fowl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Densa44 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:14 pm

Here is the present state of the art. There aren't many 204 dogs to choose from to begin with, I also don't want common relatives. How anyone could spend the time to see how even 3 different dogs hunt spread around North America and during a hunting season would be very difficult for most people and impossible for me.

I've been lucky so far, I've trained with both Sires we have used and hunted with one of them.

I think for the next 2 females we have, I can breed to a local 204 UT dog (one from our A litter) and I know him well. I've trained him for a couple of months and hunted with him a few times.

The rub is and I don't see it changing is that there is not enough information available: so we have to do the best we can with what we have.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:33 am

I have an answer. The bitch will hunt with drive up to 46 days (that is to-day) and I'm going to leave her home. She won't like that. But I can tell that she is full of puppies and I'm doing it for her own good.

The second one I'll hunt another couple of weeks, we are hunting ducks this weekend and I need her.

Thanks for all the help.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:01 pm

I took my ex wife fishing the day before she gave birth to our first daughter. Does that count?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:45 pm

Addicted2fowl wrote:How the dog hunts should also be a huge factor in a breeding program. Test scores are good but only show one day and tests don't show a dogs response to freezing temps. Most duck searches done in a real life hunting scenario will involve ice and freezing water temps. Not to mention you could have 2 204 dogs that hunt completely different from one another but you won't see that on paper.

Spot on. If you have seen enough NAVHDA tests you will see 1 dog tearing up a duck search, leaving no stone unturned and get a 4. Then you will see a dog do a mediocre job and receive the same score.This is because NAVHDA is a game of percentages.You see great hunting dogs that dont test well and lesser dogs that excel in the testing environment.
I will take real life hunting evals over paper any day of the week.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Breeding