Hunting with a pregnant bitch?

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Hunting with a pregnant bitch?

Postby Densa44 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:22 am

Is there anyone who has done this. I have 2 maybe 3 pregnant bitches and they are in the first week of their pregnancy. The hunting season starts here Sept 1 and we are all champing at the bit to go. We hunt ducks, lots and Pheasants very soon. The dogs are very good at both and I need a dog.

Can I use them for the first month? Longer? Or not at all?

I could be down to one dog here.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Hunting with a pregnant bitch?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:13 pm

There was a study that showed pups were more excited about anything mom was excited about during pregnancy- so getting mom on birds while pregnant could produce "birdier" pups. I wish I could remember where I saw that, I'd post a link.

The caution is avoiding exposure to herpesvirus, which can cause late term abortion and/or death of young pups.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JASmith » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:15 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
The caution is avoiding exposure to herpesvirus.

Always avoid the herp, imo. LOL
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Densa44 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:01 pm

Where we live, we have the place pretty much to ourselves. The dogs are birdie right now, we have 6/6 pz 1 scores for the last litter.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby KJ » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:53 am

Not a problem. My only concern would be doing this early season and having them overheat.

I have hunted pregnant bitches hard, but this is usually late in the season (December/January) when it is cold and they are in good shape. These have been 4-6 hour chukar hunts in rugged terrain. They generally blow up in size between the 4th and 5th week, so I start taking it easy after week 5. I would still not hesitate to take them on a more casual 1-2 hour hunt at week 5 or 6, unless they were really large. I would also be more cautious in heavy cover to not tear a teat, so cover and terrain would play into my decision.

Bitches that are well conditioned generally have an easier time whelping. I think hunting a pregnant bitch does far more good than bad.

I also remember the study Misskiwi referenced. This was probably 10 years ago and created some good buzz for a while. Hard one to prove, though.
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby slistoe » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:51 pm

Not a problem for at least the first month.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Constructeur » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:20 am

if you were worried about being able to hunt this Fall, why did you get all your gals knocked up before you knew the answer? To anyone that can rub 5 brain cells together it reads like you're chasing the money. Nevermind why you are only running females...
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Densa44 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:17 am

As you are apparently unfamiliar with packs of dogs, I hope this helps. When one bitch comes in, they all come in. We have 4 and we bred 2, we have a waiting list of over 30 very patient people and they all will not get a puppy. The most recent litter have 6/6 NA pz 1 one UPT prize . The sire comes from LA and we live in Canada. So no it is not a case of not having a dog, I have 2 I can use, both have 112 NA scores and on has a UT pz.

I ask because the older girls love to hunt and want to come. To-day is opening day, we have millions of ducks and no hunters. I don't want to leave them in the truck if the are good to go.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Constructeur » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:25 pm

i am just unfamiliar with breeding programs that don't include males. I have yet to see a logical argument as to how it's both sustainable or good for the breed as a whole.
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Calvinator » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:13 pm

I have hunted pregnant females without issue. My one buddy won a NSTRA trial with a pregnant female who whelped the following day.
Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:47 am

Constructeur wrote:i am just unfamiliar with breeding programs that don't include males. I have yet to see a logical argument as to how it's both sustainable or good for the breed as a whole.

Just curious as to your thought process, why would it be detrimental to the breed as a whole to not own a stud dog?? Lots of good ones available.

To the OP, Depends on the habitat you are running her in. I personally run my pregnant bitches to about 5 weeks along, but the habitat I run in could theoretically damage a hanging, swollen nipple and I won't risk that. See video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qKKaKeg-ho
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Densa44 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:58 am

Just back from a very tough 3 day hunt for wild sharp tailed grouse and the girls handled it just fine. Ducks are open here now and we'll try them on those this afternoon.

In answer to the comment on a breeding program without males. I'm not sure what is meant. We don't own males and if you keep your dogs in the house with you and intact male would drive you nuts.

We pick what we think would be the best sire we can find for our females. The litters we are going to have in a month are sired by Blitzgent's Bodie, NA 112 and UT 204. This is a repeat breeding and you can see how the pups have done in the NAVHDA tests.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GRIFF MAN » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:08 pm

Constructeur wrote:i am just unfamiliar with breeding programs that don't include males. I have yet to see a logical argument as to how it's both sustainable or good for the breed as a whole.

Every breeding program includes males, or it's not a breeding program !! Now not every breeder owns males. Most that don't own males want to go out and find the best male to meet the needs of the bitch or strengthen the weaknesses that the bitch may have. If you are stuck with one male in your kennel and use it on all your different bitches you are not always making the right choices but the easiest and most convenient choice.

Bithches come into heat at the weirdest times. Hunting them is no issue early on. I always stay away from water later in pregnancy to prevent any "stuff" getting in the canal. Not sure it is an issue, but I'm better off safe than sorry.

GriffMan
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:18 pm

How does one know he is picking the right male from La. to Canada. My guess is that the male also has Navhda tiles. Breeding to paper is pretty common these days.....don't even have to know the male at all today.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:44 pm

hicntry wrote:How does one know he is picking the right male from La. to Canada. My guess is that the male also has Navhda tiles. Breeding to paper is pretty common these days.....don't even have to know the male at all today.

Possibly. Or you invite them to go hunting too. People frequently travel and hunt their dogs outside their neighborhood. At least our dogs actually hunt.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Breeding