High Country lives on

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

High Country lives on

Postby hicntry » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:43 am

The first litter is due to drop any time in Md. Cowboy is the sire and is bred back to his daughter to start with. The daughter' grandfather or great grandfather is also a High Country dog. Pretty excited to see how the pups look when they hit the ground.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: High Country lives on

Postby STait » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:49 am

Cool, congrats. Hope to hear about the puppies from the tight breeding.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:30 pm

I'd get arrested for that.....

Love your Brillo pups. PHOTO'S!!!
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:44 pm

Photo's???? Me? LMAO
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:47 pm

STait wrote:Cool, congrats. Hope to hear about the puppies from the tight breeding.
''

The HC line can handle this type of breeding and it isn't that tight on the other side so it should turn out good.Probably know in the morning.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:51 pm

This is Cowboy.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:47 pm

It's a father/daughter breeding and it's not that tight? What did I miss?
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby hicntry » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:01 pm

The bitch is 1/2 his genetics and she has a couple of generations on her side that are making up the other 1/2 that are no relation to him. I am not saying it isn't tight but only on one side.....and that side has been tight for generations. There is enough new genetics to over ride it. We will know soon.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:55 pm

Thanks for explaining! I'm interested in how the pups turn out as I'm planning a similar breeding but opposite, mother/son. Similarly his other half is unrelated to his mother. Hoping to get a good female pup to breed back to his sire. This will be an attempt to capitalize on HIS sire.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby hicntry » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:51 pm

Steve one thing this breeding is being done for is to keep a male that should be more prepotent out of the resulting litter. This way, if an outcross is brought in it can be brought back to everything that is HC without have to do it over multiple generations. We are building prepotent dogs is what it amounts to.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:09 pm

Exactly! Do you have any idea what the puppies COI would be??
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby hicntry » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:02 am

COI??? Got no idea. COI is a meaningless number because every dog is different. It is just an oooh aaaaah number to impress people....or not.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:03 am

Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:53 am

Densa44 wrote:Here is another opinion on COI.
http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/genetics/inbreeding.html

That's great. Seems much of it is based on show and standards. I did skim through it, but, the fact remains that every different dog can/ or can not withstand various levels of inbreeding. Just a fact, so, it is impossible to exact a universal baseline, like a COI, that can be applied universally. I was on the Canine genetics forum for a short time with Helmuth Wachtal. Been on Armstrongs I beleive and a Jeffry Bragg. All big fans of assortive breeding at no more than 3%. Why did they hate inbreeding? Because they tried it and failed. Why? Choice of wrong stock, not seeing the signs that they needed new blood? Who knows, but, they couldn't get it to work. Maybe they thought these dogs should produce regular, large healthy litters. An amateurs view at best. The only book on dogs I have ever read was White Fang. The problem encountered reading articles like the one above, is that they put limits on everything. Problem is they cannot substantiate those limits. It is bull. Then comes along someone like myself, and others, that don't read all the crap, and they take it beyond what the scientists understand.
It happens because those people that don't read this stuff, don't know they aren't supposed to be able to do it.

Vets and many others say that inbreeding ruins the immune system. Trust me, nothing depresses an immune system more that all the vaccinations a dog gets from the vets. For the last 20 years I never had a dog at the vets, and, as inbred as my dogs are, they lived 30% longer without vets care. Not hard to explain is it.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:15 pm

I was just curious. My guess would be between 30%-40%. You are one of very few people to do what you've done breeding dogs
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Next

Return to Breeding