Socialization

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Socialization

Postby STait » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:51 am

Okay, fair enough lick lick. When I said my dogs have only one thing on their mind and that is to find birds. Then you said that can be fixed hahaha. You gave yourself away on that comment. You don't understand that that is what I am breeding for, but only a small part of it. When my dogs are not "on deck" at a trial they are on a stake out chain. And, they are totally accustomed to it so they are calm, usually on grass.

Go back and read the posts of mine and hicntry as well as a few others and think about what is being said. Check the archives for hicntry' posts. Don't comment, just read, and you will learn something.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:20 pm

I took the post down because there is just no point. My signature says it all.
Last edited by hicntry on Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby licklick » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:21 pm

. When I said my dogs have only one thing on their mind and that is to find birds. Then you said that can be fixed hahaha. You gave yourself away on that comment. You don't understand that that is what I am breeding for, but only a small part of it. When my dogs are not "on deck" at a trial they are on a stake out chain. And, they are totally accustomed to it so they are calm, usually on grass.

Thank you for the answer.
I realize that pointing instinct and wanting birds is a desirable trait in versatile breeds. But some times I go out of town with the dog in off season. Some times without gun. I just don't have the heart to confine my dog to leash walk and dog parks 8 months a year when there is no upland or water birds hunting. Sure, I don't want my dog hunting and finding those birds then. But I can train obedience, tracking, looking for shed antlers etc. That was what I ment by fixing it. And when the season opens, its back to finding birds.
What do you do in off season?
licklick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby STait » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:29 pm

My dogs hunt from the end of July to early May. A lot of that is just running on wild birds with me carrying a blank gun. I've never taken any of my dogs to "dog parks" and never will! They free run in the western states in fall, winter, and spring, and during the heat of the summer, they rest.

Good luck, I'm done with this thread.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:30 pm

hicntry wrote:
ryanr wrote:HiC, in one of your posts here you mentioned you felt dogs just needed exposure vs lots of socialization. I've always considered socialization to be a part of exposure. I don't really see it as one versus the other.

It is exposure Ryan. That is all it is. Calling it socialization is what screws it up. People seem to think they have to screw with pups 24/7 to what? Socialize them. Those pups need to be outside in a secure yard....by themselves. Yes, they will pee on the lawn, chew plants, dig holes. The worst thing in the world to do with a new pup is bring it home and give it freedom in the house. Put it on a dog bed and sit for a while and make it stay there. Has to be done while your house is a new place to the pup. You never teach a pup[ to fetch or chase balls in the house. all you do is teach the pup that the house is where you run and act crazy. That is how you teach "restraint".....not by physically restraining. Give the pups some space to be pups. Leave just a touch of mystique and pups will want to be with you because they still find you interesting.

I get it believe me I do but what screws it up is getting bothered by what people call it.

If you make a pup stay anywhere at some point you are going to physically restrain it, whether you hold it or put it on a lead or whatever. Young pups don't know "stay" unless you're going to tell me you breed it into 'em. Even the most "mysterious" person is not going to have a pup pay 100% attention to them and stay right there the whole time on its own. Lots of people you sometimes like to patronize do give their pups the space to be pups.

When I helped raise a couple litters of my dad's we weren't all over them 24/7. I was pretty much in charge of "taking care" of them. I'd clean the whelping box or their pen twice a day, play with them a bit each time and then leave them to themselves. Not sure how they all turned out but the pups I saw grow up were all pretty well-adjusted pups that didn't freak out over new or strange things. I got one of the males and people used to marvel at how calm he was and how he just took all sorts of things in stride. He was definitely an easy keeper and I always believed a big part of it was how he was "handled" or lack thereof for the most part. I also came to believe that leaving a litter together through 10-12 weeks versus the more "accepted" 7-8 weeks is best.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:56 pm

"If you make a pup stay anywhere at some point you are going to physically restrain it, whether you hold it or put it on a lead or whatever. Young pups don't know "stay" unless you're going to tell me you breed it into 'em."

Ryan, do all those videos I have put up with pups on the dog bed look physically restrained. No That is because they aren't in a crate or on a tie out and I am not having to hold them They are controlling themselves. Restraint is self control. Yes, you have to teach them self control by putting them back a few times. Once they know what you want, they will stay there. When you look at those pups at a very young age all staying on the dog bed....how difficult do you think it will be to put them in a blind. What you thought you were doing with your dads dogs as a kid is irrelevant.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:23 pm

I don't know, I had completed 4yrs active duty by then so I don't think I was a kid anymore but OK. Not your idea= irrelevant. Got it, thanks.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:14 am

And 4 years active duty has what to do with understanding dogs? Not a damned thing. Back to reality.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:23 pm

hicntry wrote:And 4 years active duty has what to do with understanding dogs? Not a damned thing. Back to reality.

It has to do with the fact I wasn't a kid at that point that's all. Not that it matters but I was in the process of editing my previous post since it was flippant (accurate though) when my battery died and I just hit the rack then. Anyway, on another note, I had wanted to add that I found your comment about Ester C in the other topic interesting. I take it too and I really believe in all the benefits it provides beyond the common cold defense (I have bad knees and I think its helped with that.) Just hadn't really thought about it for dogs but I have now, so thanks.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Breeding