Socialization

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Socialization

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:46 pm

You asked the question and end the thread when someone agrees about the concept but not the method? Ok, sure thing...
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:17 pm

I think you make some valid points misskiwi, but it's tough to teach a dog restraint at 7 weeks old. My dogs are wild, but very smart for their breed, and very calm by nature. Don's dogs also look calm and smart from all the videos I've seen. What makes you think they'd be hell in a vets office?? My vet loves my wild dogs and recommends them to her hunting friends. I like the fact my dogs rarely ever see a vet, and will do my best to breed them that way. Further than breeding calmness and brains into them, what other behavior should be bred in to make them good patients. At 8 weeks they are out of my hands and they are very well socialized according to the people that have bought them.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby licklick » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:30 pm

Noooooo... Am I the only sucker who watched Misskiwi's facebook https://www.facebook.com/ThatDogGeek/vi ... 343530923/ video?
licklick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:56 pm

Restraint??? No tie outs or crates....or, not physically restrained....self control.....after climbing stairs

Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:20 pm

No I watched it too. And read the materials on the other links MissKiwi posted. I did not go back and reread this whole thread but I am a bit confused where there is such a perceived disagreement. Seems all feel socialization is a critically important part of turning out the kind of dog we all want. And there is agreement there is a critical role for the breeder and another for the new owner. And there is agreement that socialization includes dogs, people and environment. Leave out any one of them and there is likely to be holes in a dog that could have been avoided with more/proper socialization.

I am currently driving 3 hours once a week to a Petsmart OB class to get my puppy some regular exposure to city environment, lots of people and other dogs. I drove 8 hours this past Sat to a training day to give him that type of experience which will be similar to a hunt test environment down the road. I can otherwise, do everything I need out of doors - field, woods, water where we live, but I cannot duplicate a city or a gathering of new dogs and people so I drive us to where we can to get them. Why? Because I travel to hunt and stay at hotels that have a lot of strange dogs that too many people let run loose around the parking lot, and I like to bring my dogs into the hotel room with me at night which will go better if I expose them to all that goes with that.

Numerous points made rang true with my experience which has included both good and bad (I learned from both).

This has been a good thread. Sorry to see it end on a sour note.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:53 pm

Okay, I watched the video. Nothing new for me except socializing my pups to 50-150 other dogs. No way in hell would I expose a young puppy to 50 other dogs. That video is for newbie dog breeders and owners I guess. Not for me or the people I sell hunting dogs to. I've had people see my pups in their puppy pen out front, pull over with the whole family and rave over how beautiful they are. And they always ask "how much are they". By that time their children are in the pen with the pups picking out the one they want. Must be what Walmart has done to them. I tell them they are not for sale, but thanks for socializing them for me HaHa.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby STait » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:58 pm

Here's a video of puppies from my last litter. All I'm looking for is which ones like to run to the front the best. They all do a decent job of it at this age. They will bust through brush they can't see through or climb over and under rocks, etc, at this age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCOYlNws30g
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:21 pm

That one that got hung up on the weed eventually made to the lead. He might be the one.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:45 pm

I also think that video was for beginners. Everyone was one once. The 50 to 150 dogs caught me by surprise as well. I ignored it like we all have to do with a lot of dog training advice. I mostly strive to expose my puppy to friends dogs which I know are healthy and well behaved. I want the right experience not the wrong one. A mean dog jumping on a puppy can do lifelong damage to its trust level around meeting strange dogs.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:38 pm

AverageGuy wrote:That one that got hung up on the weed eventually made to the lead. He might be the one.

He actually was "retrieving" that bush. He's in Canada doing very well! These pups have to be carrying something (usually sticks) in their mouths. They'll pick up anything new;-)
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:19 am

STait wrote:
AverageGuy wrote:That one that got hung up on the weed eventually made to the lead. He might be the one.

He actually was "retrieving" that bush. He's in Canada doing very well! These pups have to be carrying something (usually sticks) in their mouths. They'll pick up anything new;-)

I like to see that in a pup.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:44 am

Me too AverageGuy!
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:48 am

Good looking pups Steve. I miss having pups and watching them come on. Getting back to the socialization ....it isn't anything more than exposing the pups to the world and different things. If your old enough, you are probably familiar with the term "easy keepers". Those are the dogs that just adjusted to most anything they run into. They didn't require an extreme amount of socialization. I don't feel a lot of dogs need much to be great citizens. I seldom pick my pups up but they don't mind it. No one is going to want to pick them up after 4 or 5 months anyway. I never bring a pup in the house until mthey are about 8 weeks old. I never crate a pup because they are losing experiences and leaning nothing. I figured out a long time ago that pups pitch fits because they don't know how to be alone. That is a luxury having a lot of room gets them used to. When they were put in a crate for shipping....they were always fine....never pitched a fit. I have always said that people create their own problems. Good dogs need very little "socialization". Exposure is all they need. That is what we do when we put them in water. That's what we do when we take them to the field. That is what AG is doing driving his pups to an environment with a lot of dogs. Good dogs don't require a bunch of special handling, but, less confident dogs will enjoy life a lot more if the time is put into them. The best way to shore up those dogs is when they are with their littermates. They feed off of the stronger ones naturally. Probably the worst thing a person can do is run a spooky dog down and it will never build confidence. Picture a young pup that is already suspicious of everything, suddenly having a person m6" tall and 200 lbs running them down.....to teach it confidence. That is what littermates are for. Once they do trust you, then those are the ones that need some time put into them. The dog pictured here was on his own in the yards until he was 3 months old. I was out of town most of the time working on the house I am presently in. I knew I was keeping that pup and as long as he saw me once in a while, he would be cool. I take him and his aunt to Lowes all the time. Two different dogs totally. The aunt, Harper was a spooky sucker so I kept her with me. She went from untouchable to loving going places like Lowes.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:25 pm

Thanks Don. That is one big, long legged 3 month old pup!!! But a good looking chap. I agree with your "easy keeper" comment and would ad that a dog that eats very little to maintain their weight is also an easy keeper. Also liked your comment about a pup pitching a fit. I ship puppies across the country and most will settle right in the crate (first time) for the plane ride and hardly make a peep, lay down and sleep often times. I believe that stems from confidence, but also calmness. Those two traits must be related;-)
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:54 pm

LOL Tucco is about 20 months in the picture, but, without seeing pictures of how they turn out as adults, as with the previous photo of the dog with all the kids at the YMCA, it would be very difficult for most people to picture how dogs turn out with a lack of socialization with the brainwashed belief system most people have today. Tucco was never in a house until after 3 months old. Cowboy, the 85 pound male with all the kids was never raised around kids at all. I don't have any and the new owner hasn't got any. Some folks want you to believe this isn't possible without a lot of socialization....but if the dog is solid, they turn out just fine.' Here a 6 mo old pup that is being raised with a 7 month old baby. Takes a lot of trust in the dog.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Breeding