DNA testing

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

DNA testing

Postby Densa44 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:04 am

The times we live in. We have tested all our PPs and the results tell us if the dog has a gene for "furnishings" there are many more genetically linked issues I'm interested in but I guess you have to start some where. 3 dogs have FF genetics, that means the dog herself has furnishings (the whiskers) and her pups will have them too. The fourth dog is Ff she has furnishings but unless she is bred to a dog that is FF some or all of her pups will not have furnishings.

Are other breeders testing for this? I would hate to breed PPs that don't have whiskers, but I could see how it could happen.

Any other experience out there? Any owners of Sires that do this test? I think we got the kit from NAVHDA.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: DNA testing

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:07 am

Seems like a new thing. Many breeders are starting to test.

There are much more important things to identify, things that affect performance, health and temperament. I think of it as a fun test.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby linderhof » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:42 pm

Sounds like the kind of stuff show people worry about?
linderhof
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Duster » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:47 pm

What do whiskers have to do with performance, health, temperament, longevity or anything else?
Duster
Pup
Pup

Postby greg jacobs » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:06 pm

Not a breeder, only a shorthair guy. But seems like you would want to breed to improve the breed. Both function and form.
greg jacobs
Started
Started

Postby Just-a-bird-hunter » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:32 am

Well, I am inclined to think if a person wants a Fuzz-Face dog, he should have it! If I want a "smooth-coat" then I would purchase a Kruzzhaar/Germ Shorthair or a Visla, or a Braque!
Just-a-bird-hunter
Just-a-bird-hunter
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:03 am

Duster..... Because many of us like our dogs ugly. I see it's your first post. Tell us about yourself, dogs, hunting, etc. I'm a neighbor over in Beaverton...

I think testing is a great tool if someone is attempting to produce a consistent dog type or to avoid it all together. If a person actually cares, they should know. Like has been said, more beard = more birds. Mop the floors, clean toilets.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:24 am

I have a bit more experience now, and as part of planning our first litter both stud owner and myself decided to test for vom Willebrands. They are clear by parentage, but we decided to do DNA too. The stud owner tested his dog for furnishings despite having a 12 coat. The stud came back Ff after the breeding took place. Since the company had my girls DNA, it was easy to add a furnishings test for her too. There aren't and beardless dogs in her pedigree or siblings, but I wanted to know in advance if I should expect beardless pups since two of my reserved pups MUST have beards. Results are still pending.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Breeding