Whelping

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Whelping

Postby bwjohn » Tue May 24, 2016 10:09 pm

To all,
I will be whelping my first litter in early July, looking for advice on best practices for whelping?

things to have before, during and after the litter. Could expand into vaccination schedules afterwords, times to do dew claws and tail docks, etc.

looking for any practical or text book info that you would like to give.

thank you in advance,
brandon
bwjohn
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Whelping

Postby GRIFF MAN » Wed May 25, 2016 5:53 am

A good resource book is Phyllis Hoist book "Canine reproduction: the breeders book"

Answers alot of questions and is a source of info to have on hand when things start to happen and you can't remember what you read weeks before.

Have a good vet on hand and have them aware of whats happening. It's always comforting to know you have a vet available for questions or when things don't go well.

Stay calm and let mother nature do its job.

It is not for the faint of heart, but well worth it when it is over.

GMan
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:11 am

Pregnant Dog Care: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... 0&EVetID=0

Whelping (with video!) http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... &C=0&A=678

The recommendation to do the X-ray for a puppy count 3 weeks before whelping is incorrect. Puppy skeletons are not visible that early in pregnancy. I recommend an X-ray at 55 days.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Wed May 25, 2016 1:31 pm

I've learned to skip the ultrasound and do the x-ray on day 57-58. Just for peace of mind it's nice to know how many are coming.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Wed May 25, 2016 8:18 pm

GRIFF MAN wrote:A good resource book is Phyllis Hoist book "Canine reproduction: the breeders book"

Answers alot of questions and is a source of info to have on hand when things start to happen and you can't remember what you read weeks before.

Have a good vet on hand and have them aware of whats happening. It's always comforting to know you have a vet available for questions or when things don't go well.

Stay calm and let mother nature do its job.

It is not for the faint of heart, but well worth it when it is over.

GMan

X2 on Holst's book and the rest.

Only addition is to not let the bitch cut the cord. Tie off, clamp two hemostats and twist to break... I think that may actually be in the book.

Good luck,
3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Thu May 26, 2016 8:26 am

Not to be antagonistic, but I've had 5 litters in the last two years. Never helped with a single cord. All three of my females whelped their own pups except for one last pup the one female struggled with. I took her to my reproductive vet at 2:00 am on July 4th and he gave her a couple of injections and the pup came right out.

Holst's book is very good, as well as a lot of good internet info.

Good luck, Steve
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby SMAbby » Thu May 26, 2016 3:29 pm

A lot of good reading for you above. But there is one tool that I just love. It is the Deelee mucus trap. Lets you clear the pups throat without swinging. You put one end in the pups mouth and suck on the other end. Helps if you have a slow starter or whatever.

http://www.lapdog.co.nz/proddetail.php?prod=WSDLMT

Also, having Nutracal on hand is good for slow pups. Some kind of calcium for mom. Vanilla Ice cream or tums etc. I normally give it after the whelping is done.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri May 27, 2016 4:34 pm

Put the whelping box outside in a safe spot. I didn't do the dew claws because dogs actually used them contrary to popular belief. Do the tails at 3 to 5 days. Let mom do the whelping and, after the tails, leave mom and the pups undisturbed until they are walking. Don't look at em, don't handle them. This insures that the pups you end up with are the strong and healthy. Or, keep em in the house and handle them from day one so they will all look the same and you can't tell what you have. It is a choice you have.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:22 pm

One thin g I failed to mention.....if using my method keep an eye out for the first born. Many times a first ti me bitch thinks she has to squat and relieve herself and will leave the first pup laying on the ground with her wondering why that BM is moving. You got to pick that first one up and put it in the whelping box. :D :D
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Breeding