Purchasing Puppy -- Question About Bloodlines

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Purchasing Puppy -- Question About Bloodlines

Postby mandimai » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:41 am

Though I am not new to GSPs, this is the first time I am purchasing a dog from a reputable breeder. Mandi, my current GSP, is a rescue. The puppy I am getting will be being trained as a service dog, and I am curious to learn more about the dogs in his or her pedigree. Who are they, what are their temperments like, and what do they pass down to their offspring? Any and all information people here can provide I would be very grateful for.

To give a little information about the litter, the puppy will be being shipped to me in the United States from Serbia. The parents have had extensive health testing. Both sire and dam are trained in search & rescue (SAR), have been successful in the show ring, and have proven themselves worthy field dogs as well. The sire is also worked as a police dog.

The sire and dam are registered with the FCI and KSS. They have completed the Solms, been shown successfully in conformation shows, and obviously been approved as Hip Dysplasia free. This will be the dam, Alisa's (call name Ruby), first litter. Tir, the sire, has a few litters under his belt, however, and has shown to produce very solid puppies. He has pups that have become successful at police work and SAR, both of which require similar traits to what I will be needing.

I am including pictures of both Tir iz Doline Baira (sire) and Alisa (dam)'s pedigrees. Again, any and all information anyone here has on the dogs in them I'd find very useful. I very much want to learn more about this breed in general, and the puppy I will be purchasing specifically.

Thank you all so much!

Tir iz Doline Baira pedigree:

Alisa pedigree:

mandimai
Pup
Pup

Re: Purchasing Puppy -- Question About Bloodlines

Postby Dakotazeb » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:45 pm

When there are so many good GSP breeders in the US why would you get a pup from Siberia? Unless someone has some international experience with GSP's it might be hard to make much out of those pedigrees. What's the cost to ship a pup from Siberia?
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:20 pm

Going overseas is probably secondary to needing a dog for service work. I can't say I've ever met a GSP in the US that I would consider for such work.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dakotazeb » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:39 pm

Sorry, I missed the service dog thing when I first read it.
Janees August Breeze - Bree

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jmr12 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:29 pm

maybe email some nadkc kennels. Vom Riverwoods. Kings Crossing. There are others. They might have some idea.
jmr12
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Densa44 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:08 am

You put your finger on a problem we breeders have in N.A. Once the pup leaves our house, there is no way to know how it turns out. We have the test results if in fact the new owner follows through with our agreement that the dog is tested in a NAVHDA stake. But that is it. The information you want isn't available unless you are lucky enough to find a person who has seen a lot of dogs from the same breeding.

Our dogs have gone all over North America so there is no one who can tell ne how they have turned out. It would sure be an asset if this information was recorded.

I'm not exactly sure what is meant by service dog. You can teach a dog just about anything, temperament is a whole different matter.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:54 am

Densa44 wrote:You put your finger on a problem we breeders have in N.A. Once the pup leaves our house, there is no way to know how it turns out. We have the test results if in fact the new owner follows through with our agreement that the dog is tested in a NAVHDA stake. But that is it. The information you want isn't available unless you are lucky enough to find a person who has seen a lot of dogs from the same breeding.

Our dogs have gone all over North America so there is no one who can tell ne how they have turned out. It would sure be an asset if this information was recorded.

I'm not exactly sure what is meant by service dog. You can teach a dog just about anything, temperament is a whole different matter.

Well, besides the fact that results of tested dogs are recorded you can also call or email at least some if your owners and talk to them about how the dogs turned out. My dog is 3yrs old and I know my breeder has talked to me at least once a year on my dog's progress and behaviors and any issues, etc. I just talked to him in September, he was calling several owners from my dog's litter to see what we thought as he was planning on doing the same breeding again. And he's also referred several potential owners to call me to ask me about my dog, etc. Talked to 1 guy for 45 minutes last week.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:33 am

Yes we do that too, and the dogs that stay in Alberta are members of our club and I see them once a month and help train them. I still get calls from all over the USA wanting to talk about traits. I then have to contact some of the dogs owners to see if they want to talk to these people. We are a "boutique" breeder, one or two litters a year so there is little possibility of these people ever getting a puppy.

I just think it would help all concerned if there was more information available to new potential owners.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Breeding