Best dog food for pregnant female

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Best dog food for pregnant female

Postby modocgsp » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:12 pm

Looking to know what the best food to feed a pregnant female in the first stages. What are you guys using?

Thanks
modocgsp
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Best dog food for pregnant female

Postby GRIFF MAN » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:49 am

I stay with my normal high quality dog food on my pregnant bitches. I also keep her on the same amount of food.

About 7-10 days before whelping I'll change over to a high quality puppy food. I use the same brand so the transition is easy. I will increase her food amount 1 1/2 times the normal.

When she whelps I give her all the food she wants. I keep the food bowl full and she will eat what she needs.

This is a way to keep pups healthy and not over sized.

Griffman
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:09 am

GRIFF MAN wrote:I stay with my normal high quality dog food on my pregnant bitches. I also keep her on the same amount of food.

About 7-10 days before whelping I'll change over to a high quality puppy food. I use the same brand so the transition is easy. I will increase her food amount 1 1/2 times the normal.

When she whelps I give her all the food she wants. I keep the food bowl full and she will eat what she needs.

This is a way to keep pups healthy and not over sized.

Griffman

+1
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:08 am

Would like to hear other informed opinion...but I would not increase food amounts over the last 10 days. Puppies gain a very sizable amount of their final mass
in this last 10 days and to increase calorie and mineral intake is just going to push the size of the pups which could complicate the whelping process. I just continue feeding a high quality food and increase the calorie intake through higher fat % after whelping.

Do our vets have some data on this?
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GRIFF MAN » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:29 am

DrahtsundBraats wrote:Would like to hear other informed opinions....
Do our vets have some data on this?

Who do you think told me the schedule. ..my vet! !
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby KJ » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:32 am

I keep bitches on their normal food and feeding schedule (currently Inukshuk 30/25, previously Euk 30/20, but any quality food is fine), fed once a day in the evening, until about week 5 into her pregnancy. If they are pregnant, they typically blow up between week 4 and 5 and I don't want an increase in food muddy the water on whether she is pregnant. Once they start gaining size and I am sure the are pregnant (5 weeks) I start increasing food. If they are normally on 3 cups in the evening, I just add 2 cups in the morning. All organs, including the stomach, start getting compressed so I feed them twice a day at this point. The last week or two I may increase even more, depending on bitch size and appetite. I free feed them after they whelp.

I move the puppies over to Inukshuk 26/16 as I start to wean them. I feed puppies once a day from 3-4 weeks, and twice a day from 4-5 weeks. Cut them off the mother at 5 weeks and continue to feed puppies twice a day. I don't feed puppies as hot of food as the adults and I try to keep them on the lean side, too. Too many calories is bad for puppies and can cause growth problems. Another important thing to do is ramp the bitches food down as you prepare them for weaning. I start ramping down the bitch's food between 4-5 weeks, then I only feed her 1 cup on the last day of nursing to help dry her up. If you free feed her until the end, then cut her off cold turkey, she is going to be engorged, in pain, and at risk for mastitis.

Limiting food 10 days before whelping seems like a pretty solid idea to prevent any large puppies, but we have been increasing food the last month and never had any whelping issues. We have had 27 litters over the past 15 years and have never had whelping complications or had to have a c-section.
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:05 pm

Mine stay on the same food the entire pregnancy Pro Plan 30/20.

Jay
The only thing worse than a bad dog, is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:54 pm

Puppies grow the most during the last 2 weeks of pregnancy. The bitch barely has room to fit food in her stomach, let alone enough food to meet the caloric requirements of her and her litter. Puppy food is generally higher in mineral and calories so the bitch can get more nutrition from less food. The puppies will grow regardless of the diet, you are not supporting the puppies, you are supporting the bitch by changing to puppy food. The bitch should stay on puppy food until the pups are weaned or she starts to get fat.
Last edited by Misskiwi67 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Calvinator » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:24 pm

We never feed puppy food. We feed the bitch a quality adult kibble that is 30/20. Currently Dr. Tim's Pursuit. We feed normal rations until the last 2 weeks then we increase rations. To date, we have not had any issues with large pup that complicate whelping. I have found that if I free feed the bitch, they tend to over eat and develop diarrhea. Therefore we feed rations appropriate for the bitch to avoid intestinal upset. I have seen this with multiple brand's of kibble.
We begin weaning at 4 weeks using soaked kibble(same brand as bitch eats). By 5 1/2-6 weeks pups are weaned unless my wife is caring for pups, then she feels they need to nurse as long as possible. Most of our females will allow nursing at nearly any age. I've seen 12 week old pups nurse if they can. I prefer to keep pups from getting fat to avoid muscular/skeletal development issues. I have seen multiple pups raised on Pro Plan Performance come down with panosteitis, but not comparable brands.

Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:36 pm

Size of puppies is typically determined by the number of pups in the uterine horn, not the diet. Fears of creating pups too big to be whelped easily by over feeding are unfounded.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:16 am

I like to feed my bitch a diet of Brie or other semi soft cheeeezes, some pate, faux graus of course and then finish em up with a fine white wine.......... :mrgreen:
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deuce » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:49 am

Steve Anker wrote:I like to feed my bitch a diet of Brie or other semi soft cheeeezes, some pate, faux graus of course and then finish em up with a fine white wine.......... :mrgreen:

I just spit my coffee out... that was excellent!
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby CClark » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:04 am

My girls and pups do real well with Nutri Source Lamb and Rice. I gradually increase their food through their pregnancy. This food has seemed to help speed up lactation and produce a good supply of milk.
CClark
Pup
Pup

Return to Breeding