Term Definition, Mother Line

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Term Definition, Mother Line

Postby orhunter » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:33 pm

Can someone explain to me exactly what this means? I know it was followed pretty closely back in the early days of the DD and wondering if it has any real meaning today? Is it used in any other breed clubs?

Thanks

Harvey
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Term Definition, Mother Line

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:15 pm

A mother line denotes the origins of the bitch line or the mitochondrial DNA. This is inherited from the female - that of the male (sperm) is broken down during fertilization. Practically, mother lines developed to denote origins of a breeding line and required that there be a direct female line for at least 6 generations before the kennel name could be attached to the mother line notation. So...if a dog's pedigree is noted as having a mother line "Diamanten Aue-Löwenberg-Auenheim-PP"...the original line was Auenheim (Regent II vom Auenheim was a very famous early stud dog and was predominantly from Pudelpointer back ground). This line was continued by the Löwenberg kennel (name added after generations) and then the Diamanten Aue kennel, which I believe is still in existence today (2nd or 3rd owner???). This would allow a breeder to research the pedigree back for decades. Some believe that if you were to breed a mother line long enough and ONLY that motherline, you could in theory breed back closer to the origins of the original dogs of that line. I have my doubts.

I'm not sure what the usefulness of motherlines is today and would like to hear other opinions. Too bad Mike Schell is not on this discussion list because i think he would have a lot to offer on the subject. I choose to think that in the early days it was a way to share the origins of what the original breeders were doing as the breed was being created. One of the important early principles was that breeders had freedom to breed among all the rough haired breeds as long as it was on the basis of performance and that all would divulge freely what they had bred.
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby boarhunter » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:09 pm

the Diamanten Aue kennel, which I believe is still in existence today (2nd or 3rd owner???)

Still operates, now by the daughter of the founder, here:
http://www.von-der-diamantenen-aue.de/
They are just announcing the W III (three) litter.
I'm not sure what the usefulness of motherlines

Long story, many opinions. The recent Drahthaar Blätter of 02/2015 (should appear on GNA's member page soon) has a short version of an article "Vergangenheit-Gegenwart-Zukunft Deutsch Drahthaar" (Past-Presence-Future), and there are a few sentences (Point 5) on motherline breeding with references to some important older articles. This must be seen in conjunction with Point 3 of said article, which is, though brief, an important one. Maybe worth a translation for GNA members website ? :wink:

Cheers
boarhunter
boarhunter
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Steve Anker » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:59 am

Mother line

Dat's the length of rope you have tied around your mother-in-laws neck after you bury her in the swamp.....
I believe....
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:03 am

Hoss: Now there something the layman can understand.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Breeding