HEAT CYCLE

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

HEAT CYCLE

Postby GRIFF MAN » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:59 am

CAN SOMEONE REMIND ME ABOUT THE HEAT CYCLE. IS IT THE 11TH DAY OF THE HEAT CYCLE THAT IS THE MOST FERTILE ?

MY 1 YEAR OLD WENT INTO HEAT. I NOTICED LAST NIGHT SHE HAD A LITTLE MESS ON MOMMA'S BLANKET :shock: . I HAVE SEEN HER LICK HER SELF MORE LATELY SO I FIGURED IT WAS COMING SOON. THE LAST TIME THE DISCHARGE WAS CREAMY, LAST NIGHT IT WAS RED MORE BLOODY? SOUND NORMAL??

HER LAST HEAT CYCLE WAS IN EARLY APRIL. IT HASN'T BEEN A FULL 6 MONTHS. IS THIS 6 MONTH THING JUST A STANDARD THAT PEOPLE USE WHEN ACTUALLY THE CYCLE CAN CHANGE SLIGHTLY ?
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: HEAT CYCLE

Postby Margaret » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:14 pm

Sometimes it takes a couple of seasons for them to settle into a regular cycle. Usually it is every 6-7 months but sometimes only once yearly.

The bleeding you describe now is normal, it will lighten up as her cycle continues.
Each bitch is different and whilst 10-15 days is a common time for them to be happy to accept a dog, do not rely on that. Some bitches will stand earlier and some later.

For the first week you should be safe to exercise or even hunt her in areas you know you don't meet other people with male dogs.
After that you will need to be extra cautious when exercising her, and find an area where no-one goes so you don't disturb others hunting or get your female accidently mated.

I'd count back one day from the time you noticed blood, then give her 20 days for her heat. Even after the 20 days watch carefully how male dogs react to her (and she to them) just in case.
Margaret
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GRIFF MAN » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:05 am

Margaret,
Thanks for the reply. Question. So I noticed the blood on sept.16th and the Wi duck opener is on the 27th which probabley in the middle of the heat cycle. right ?
So to save the hassel she probabley not come along :cry:

let me know what you think
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Margaret » Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:12 am

GRIFF MAN wrote:Margaret,
Thanks for the reply. Question. So I noticed the blood on sept.16th and the Wi duck opener is on the 27th which probabley in the middle of the heat cycle. right ?
So to save the hassel she probabley not come along :cry:

let me know what you think

In the interests of your bitch and of you not getting abused by other male dog owners for distracting their dogs, I think she will have to stay home.

My bitch has also just come into season, the 16th too I think!
But she is good girl as our hunting season finished at the end of August :)
Margaret
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare