Tick Prevention

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

vet recommended

Postby Konza Vadasz » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:41 am

We have a great vet--he's a down-to-earth, country farm vet. No hi-tech clinic, assistants, dispensary or high overhead. He understands & is sympathetic to the need to keep kennel expenses down whenever possible. Best of all, he'll come to our place when needed & even then doesn't charge an arm & a leg for the call.
He also suggested I use cattle Safeguard paste wormer instead of higher price prescription canine doses of the same drug (fenbendazole). 1cc per 25# in their food for three consecutive days administered quarterly. A big 250g tube lasts a long time too.
A classmate of his has a clinic in town where I go for radiographs when needed and does our OFA radiographs at a greatly reduced kennel rate.
Deb
Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla in KS
Konza Vadasz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Tick Prevention

Postby schultz's honor » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:00 am

Mike50 wrote:Just wondering when those of you in the northern states start there tick prevention. Mine starts tonight.

We applied Frontline about 2 weeks ago.
Had our first navhda training session this past Saturday, and the ticks were out. Not alot yet but they are starting to wake up.
"Oh give me the grace to catch a fish so big
that even I, when talking about it afterward
may have no need to lie"
schultz's honor
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Ivermectin

Postby KYgsp » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:27 am

JC wrote:
Konza Vadasz wrote:Just be sure NOT to get Ivomec PLUS, as the added ingredient isn't safe for dogs. My vet recommended the 1% Ivomec injection solution at a dose of 1cc per 70# on their food once a month. A 50 ml bottle will last a whole kennelful of dogs quite a while.
Deb

what and how I and my breeder used- interesting that your vet recomended you do it

It has been my experience that if you go to a multi-species rural vet they will shoot you straight on what you can and can't give a dog. If you go to an urban vet that specilizes in yapping little house dogs they will tell you not to use it and suggest that you buy Heartguard, Interceptor, etc which they just happen to have for sale at the front desk on your way out.

I use 1% Ivomec for my dogs deworming needs and will throw in some canine Safeguard at least once a year for a three day rotation to make sure they don't have any kind of worms. I don't know for sure or not but I have heard that Ivomec has a negative effect on fleas and ticks for the first few days after it is given to the dog. I must say that even though my flea and tick protection plan lapses from time to time I have never had a flea or tick problem since switching over to Ivomec several years ago. I do try to use Frontline Plus regularly when I can remember it though. I don't typically start using flea and tick protection until warm wheather looks like it has arrived to stay for a while. But we aren't in a really bad tick area either.
KYgsp
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JoeHop » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:32 am

My vet knows that i know a few tricks to avoid the heavy spending on worming and tick prevention so he gives it to me striaght. I also give my dogs Ivomec and he told me that it does have a negative effect on fleas and ticks. I too have not really had any problems with ticks or fleas since I started giving Ivomec.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper
JoeHop
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JC » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:50 pm

amazing- we don't talk much about Ivemectin- old timers know the tricks-
and got to agree- you have good vets
long ago mine just smiled when I told him I was using it
I also use FrontLine when the mosquitoes and ticks are out
couldn't believe it when I came back from Florida- my male had a slight case of Lime desease- and I wasn't taking them outside the facility except to swim in the ocean

That salt water is interesting stuff for their coats

I still believe in checkups for worms and such
American Brittany's-
JC
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

tick & flea prevention

Postby Konza Vadasz » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:13 pm

A falconer vet up north has one of our pups & we were talking about tick & flea prevention recently. She recommended ProMeris. It has Amitraz in it to repel the ticks and prevent them from ever attaching, and this is why it works. I have noticed in the past that with Frontline or the Plus version, we'd occasionally find an attached dead tick. I will be switching to ProMeris.
Deb
Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla in KS
Konza Vadasz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Georgia Boy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:35 pm

my vet recommended Vectra 3D. It is a new product that takes care of fleas ticks and mosquitoes. The web site is summitvetpharm.com. Has anyone else heard of this product?
Georgia Boy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:40 pm

Ticks...

I've found if the tick gets attached, it's better to leave it there till they get swelled up real good before pulling them off. This year seems to be a particular bad tick year in my area and I went about pulling a few of them off too soon. Takes forever for the spot to heal up.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Mike50 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:57 pm

schultz's honor wrote:
Mike50 wrote:Just wondering when those of you in the northern states start there tick prevention. Mine starts tonight.

Had our first navhda training session this past Saturday, and the ticks were out. Not alot yet but they are starting to wake up.

shultz's honor I pulled one tick off last week that's why I started mine last week. The bad thing is I was told it takes a month to get into their system? We should also have a good mosquito hatch this year. With all the snow we had the swamps and ditches up here are full.
So many breeds so little time!
Mike50
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ohmymy111 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:19 am

I am in Minnesota, and I pulled a tick off of Vern Monday and had found one crawling on me on Saturday Vern had a bullseye rash, and I am pretty sure it is a deer tick, so we are going to start a course of antibiotics.
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot TAN AKC MH
Tres Bon 3, Excellent, Excellent 2, CACT. Autumn Trials, France 2006
1st Place Solo, 1st Place Couples, French Brittany National Trials 2007
1st Place Wild Bird Couples, French Brittany National Trials 2008
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleues TAN
Gun CH Chloe de la Crête Bleue
GUN CH Darius de L'Etoile du Nord TAN
CH Etoile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
Smith's Frances de L'Etoile du Nord TAN
http://www.letoiledunordkennels.com
ohmymy111
Started
Started

Postby JC » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:48 pm

orhunter wrote:Ticks...

I've found if the tick gets attached, it's better to leave it there till they get swelled up real good before pulling them off. This year seems to be a particular bad tick year in my area and I went about pulling a few of them off too soon. Takes forever for the spot to heal up.

really! same as if you find a tick on your kids- leave it till it swells real good :roll:

I say, during tick season treat your dog, with the very best proven treatment you know works- and keep a close eye on your dog as well as your kids- for geminie creepers don't leave them on as one suggested :lol: . Some dogs as in some kids develope a rash where the tick is removed, some react differently - some are sensitive- maybe that's because of your choosen breed, most handle tick bites ok.

Up in the north country you must be sharp during tick season- devestating to allow a dog to be out without good protection and carefull monitoring- jmo
American Brittany's-
JC
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JC » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:57 pm

Mike50 wrote:
schultz's honor wrote:

shultz's honor I pulled one tick off last week that's why I started mine last week. The bad thing is I was told it takes a month to get into their system? We should also have a good mosquito hatch this year. With all the snow we had the swamps and ditches up here are full.

Mike- it might take a month to really have any effect on your dog- as in worms or lime disease- but the tick bite gets into the blood stream almost emidiately- ask your vet or speak with another vet who knows- that's the case with mosquitoes- it gets in the blood stream because they are feeding on the blood

same thing with worms down here- a dog steps in infested cow crap, licks the paw, it's in the dog but takes awhile to effect the dog- so we have them tested as soon as reasonably possible to catch and eliminate the problem before it gets out of hand
American Brittany's-
JC
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby L7 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:34 am

Just posting here to keep tabs on this thread. I've looked into this before but didn't do it. I think I'll give it a go this season.
L7
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Big House » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:31 am

Mike50 wrote:The bad thing is I was told it takes a month to get into their system?

My vet says that I can give the dog a dose of frontline, and then a 2nd in 2 weeks. After that it's month to month.
Your dog secretly wishes that it could point like a Brittany.
www.brittany.org
Big House
Started
Started

Postby shawnsgriff » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:50 pm

Get some ADAMS spray.Works wonders as a second line of defence.
No matter how little money and how few
possessions you own having a dog makes you rich.....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=523
shawnsgriff
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Healthcare