Persistance flatulence in Drahthaar

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Persistance flatulence in Drahthaar

Postby baronsowner » Sun May 11, 2003 1:11 pm

My male (9yrs) has continual gas. He eats well, and disposition is good. He can empty a room, however. Is there any recommended diet for this breed, and is this a problem as these great dogs age?
baronsowner

Postby Jon » Sun May 11, 2003 4:54 pm

First off, have the dog lay off the beer and nuts!!

There can be a whole lot of reasons. I assume this is a new development from the way you phrase the question. Often older dogs don't digest as well as they used to. A senior diet might be something to try. Senior dogs need protein but often don't need as much fat - a 21-12 is usually what i have older dogs on. There's always the charcoal tablets. How are his teeth and gums? - gum infections can cause some real GI distress and problems. I'm sure you will get other suggestions.
Keep the breed versatile
Jon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby baronsowner » Sun May 18, 2003 9:27 pm

Thank you Jon.

As his teeth and gums are in good condition, I will try adjusting his diet mix.
Appreciate the help!
baronsowner

Postby MikeB » Sun May 18, 2003 11:50 pm

What exactly do you feed your dog? Brand and formula? Dry dog foods high in grains like corn, wheat, soybean meal, can cause lots of digestive problems like gas. I would highly recommend a healthier food with NO wheat, corn, soy in the ingredients. Don't think it will cost you more because you will feed much less too. 2 meals a day is much better than one big meal at night too. My food choice today is CANIDAE... When you look at the ingredients you will see what I mean. http://www.canidae.com

If a higher quality food doesn't work with in 30 days I would look into adding a food supplement like PROZYME to each meal. http://www.prozyme.com
MikeB
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Tony » Mon May 19, 2003 7:55 pm

I always try to blame the dog too, but my wife never falls for it :roll:

Have you tried top-dressing his food with plain yogurt? The bacteria in the yogurt helps maintain the natural flora in the digestion system.
Tony
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Jon » Tue May 20, 2003 1:43 pm

Foster and Smith sells a small butane pilot light that can be installed at the base of the tail. This should burn off any noxious emissions. Only side effect is the tendency for the dog to ignite objects in the area :)
Keep the breed versatile
Jon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby MikeB » Sat May 31, 2003 11:04 am

baronsowner

How is your male's gas problem now a days. What brand of food were you feeding when your dog had the bad gas. Have you made any diet changes?
MikeB
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Healthcare