Some kennel help needed

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Some kennel help needed

Postby pocono.shorthair » Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:42 pm

I don't know if this belongs in this section but this is where its going. I just bought a 10x10 kennel and would like to keep my 8 month old GSP in it during the day. As of now she is kept inside in her crate for about 11 hours at a time while my wife and I are at work. I can not leave her to run free in the house while nobody is home because she is a little terror when left alone. Here is the question: what type of flooring will be best for her(concrete pad, gravel/stone, wood deck, or should I go with just the ground). I'm going to set it up in a grassy area but the grass probably won't last long. She will only be in it while we are at work which is 11 hors, 4 days a week. Any help or other suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks...Jon
I never thought my non-hunting wife would get me so interested in upland bird hunting.(She just had to have a German Shorthair)
pocono.shorthair
Started
Started

Re: Some kennel help needed

Postby wirehair » Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:27 pm

pocono.shorthair wrote:I don't know if this belongs in this section but this is where its going. I just bought a 10x10 kennel and would like to keep my 8 month old GSP in it during the day. As of now she is kept inside in her crate for about 11 hours at a time while my wife and I are at work. I can not leave her to run free in the house while nobody is home because she is a little terror when left alone. Here is the question: what type of flooring will be best for her(concrete pad, gravel/stone, wood deck, or should I go with just the ground). I'm going to set it up in a grassy area but the grass probably won't last long. She will only be in it while we are at work which is 11 hors, 4 days a week. Any help or other suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks...Jon

Concrete is best. It is the easiest to clean and she will not dog out. If you can't do concrete, go with gravel. You may want to lay down some old chain link or welded wire so that she can't dig out. Definitely not wood for an entire area, but a small platform to lay on off the ground is not a bad idea. do a web search on KennelDeck for an example of one.

Make sure that she has a place to get out of the weather and some shade. A solid top to prevent escape via climbing may not be a bad idea.
wirehair
wirehair
Started
Started

Postby pocono.shorthair » Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:14 am

I also had thoughts on using somthing called Trex Decking these are boards made of a plastic resign type material. Trex's main use is for house decks and it does not need to ever be sealed and won't splinter. Home Depot sells these boards but I'm unaware of the cost. By the way Home Depot is one of two stores that always seem to get my blood pressure shooting through the roof. The other is the one and only Wal-Mart...Jon
I never thought my non-hunting wife would get me so interested in upland bird hunting.(She just had to have a German Shorthair)
pocono.shorthair
Started
Started

Trex, etc.

Postby wirehair » Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:39 am

pocono.shorthair wrote:I also had thoughts on using somthing called Trex Decking these are boards made of a plastic resign type material.

There are several synthetic wood types on the market. I am not sure how they'll stand up to urine, etc. You also need to consider ease of cleanining, especially for waste that falls through.

I just bought 2 12 foot boards and it ran me about 18 bucks each. You may want to find a real lumber yard or building suppy place as they can give you solid advice on how to work with this stuff.
wirehair
wirehair
Started
Started

kennel

Postby bob kudile » Tue May 06, 2003 1:56 pm

poc, go right to the concrete slab you will not be sorry,there is no sub or way around it. the question is the texture or finish of the surface. i would not use the rough or broom finish and not the smooth or steel trowel finish. rough,to tough on dog and hard to clean. smooth,dog will slip can be dangerious. go for the mid point a wood float finish which has nice texture for cleaning and the dog will not slip around and it will keep the pads tough and the claws trim. i have a karander dog bed and a section of kennel deck for laying on. the house is a k-9 kondo with ply wood deck. bob
bob kudile
Pup
Pup

Postby Birdhunter » Tue May 06, 2003 2:29 pm

I like concrete. Where I put my dogs it is not possible for a truck to get in. Same thing at my old house so my wife and I mixed the concrete. My last 10 x 10 took around 50 bags of mix. It was a lot of work but we did it in about 3 hours using a hose, wheelbarrow and a shovel. We have done 3 seperate pads so far at my current home and 2 at our last home.
Birdhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare