SD Health Certificate

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

SD Health Certificate

Postby outdoorjay » Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:18 pm

Does anyone know what sort of health certificate is needed to take your dog to SD or ND. I tried to look at the state DNR websites but could not find any information.

In the next couple weeks I'm going to take my dog to the vet for his booster shots and was wondering if I could get the cert now or if I'll have to go back to the vet this fall.
outdoorjay

ND Health Certificate

Postby Mn John » Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:38 pm

I am not sure about South Dakota but here is a link to N. Dakota Dept. of Ag. http://www.agdepartment.com/Programs/Livestock/BOAH/AnimalImportation.htm

This is the only info I could find. If I recall the health cert. needs to be issued within 30 days of visit. That is a standard for all animal (livstock) transport accross state lines.

Hope this helps.
Mn John
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby larue » Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:36 pm

I sent for info on dog training in nd,,,the one major requirement was
a cert from a vet,,and the vet has to call north dakota to issue the cert...
from what I gathered they were concerned about dogs carrying cattle deseases on there bodys from infected cattle from out of state..
larue
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Tony » Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:09 pm

Dog Health Certificate Rule Rescinded (031203)
Unless there is a documented disease threat in North Dakota, hunters will not have to obtain import permits or health certificates for dogs before bringing them into the state.

The State Board of Animal Health recently rescinded the permit and veterinary inspection health certificate requirement for household pets brought into North Dakota. However, dogs must still meet state requirements for rabies vaccinations.

The requirement had been in effect for almost two years as a temporary response to an outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease in Europe. The rule, upon the attorney general's approval, still allows the state veterinarian to require import permits and health certificates for pets under certain circumstances, such as a disease threat.

I copied the information posted above from the NoDak G&F website. We were checked by a game warden last September while we were giving the dogs a "bathroom" break and he never asked to see any certificates (we had 8 dogs in the truck and trailer).
Tony
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare