Ripped Toe Nail

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Ripped Toe Nail

Postby Hank » Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:35 pm

My dog nearly tore off her toe nail this morning. Although it bled for awhile, I was able to staunch the bleeding and apply some antibiotic ointment. It looks as though I will have to repeat this procedure for a day or two since everytime she walks on the hard crusty snow the toe will start to bleed again, although a little less each time. I assume I am doing the appropriate thing here and the toe nail will eventually grow back but if anybody was any other recommendations I'd like to hear them.
Hank
bigpharma2002@yahoo.com
Cedarwoods Topaz Dawn (aka Ellie)
Pudelpointer
Hank
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Tony » Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:37 pm

Is the toenail still attached? If so, by how much? Depending on how bad it is, you may be better off cutting it all the way off so it doesn't snag on something.

One of my dogs knocked his toenail clean off on a chukar hunting trip a couple of years ago, it eventually grew back.
Tony
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Hank » Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:33 am

The end of the toe nail is still hanging by a thread but I've been reluctant to take it off until the rest of the wound toughens up a bit and isn't so tender. In the meantime, I'm keeping her activity level down so she doesn't aggravate the situation.
Hank
bigpharma2002@yahoo.com
Pudelpointer
Hank
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JJ McGuire » Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:34 pm

Hank
You can use Kwik-Stop or a Styptic stick to stop the bleeding. Kwick - Stop can be found at most pet stores in the dog or bird section and you should be able to find a Styptic stick at any pharmacy.
JJ

Never ask a man what kind of dog he has. If he has a Lab he'll tell you, if he does not, you don't want to shame him by asking.
JJ McGuire
Started
Started

Postby Hank » Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:04 pm

Thanks JJ. I'll have to remember to get one of those for future use. For now, the bleeding seems to be stopped.
Hank
bigpharma2002@yahoo.com
Pudelpointer
Hank
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Healthcare