First half good 2nd half bad

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

First half good 2nd half bad

Postby breton1130 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:48 am

I have a 18 month female French Brittany that is having some digestive issues. I have tried many different remedies to no avail and am looking for some advice. This all started about a month ago when she came down with kennel cough, I took her to the vet just to make sure it wasn't anything more serious and they put her on doxycycline for 2 weeks. Ever since I started her on the doxy she has been having loose stool where the first half of the stool is good and solid and the second half comes out as mush, it still has some shape to it and does not have any mucus or blood, just very very soft. She goes about 3 times per day, which is normal for her. I took her back to the vet to see if they had anymore suggestions, fecal sample came back negative and they put her on metronidazole for 7 days to see if that would help, it didn't. I've tried probiotics and feeding less. Other than the loose stool she is the same energetic dog she always as been. I guess the only thing I haven't tried doing yet is switching foods but I don't think that is the issue as she was doing great on her food (victor hi pro plus) before she started the doxy. Open to any and all suggestions if you need more info ask away.

Thanks!
breton1130
Pup
Pup

Re: First half good 2nd half bad

Postby hicntry » Tue May 30, 2017 11:15 am

Feed the dog one or two RAW chicken wings bones and all a day depending on how big the dog is. Dogs systems are not designed for processed foods.....even higher quality ones. Their systems are designed for raw meat and bones.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Tue May 30, 2017 1:33 pm

I agree with the raw chicken with bones, but also might try lessening what I give her per meal for a few days and give her gut a break.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby blue04 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:48 pm

You might also try a bit of plain yogurt. I tablespoon or two on top of her daily kibble is all you need.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue May 30, 2017 4:08 pm

I would try a completely home made bland diet for a few days. Ground meat of some kind ( I grind my own) mixed 50/50 with the veggie portion. For veggies, whole brown rice, sweet potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, whatever. I mix the veggies together with a potato masher then add the meat. Plain yogurt every day. I've never had a dog not improve by taking this route.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare