Front shoulder injury

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Front shoulder injury

Postby mrelite » Sun May 07, 2017 12:46 pm

So my 6 month old English Pointer hurt his front shoulder. I took him to a dog park for the first time and some big heavy pit bull rolled him and pinned him down, I ran over and chased the dog off but it was to late my pup was hurt and holding his leg up, after a few minutes he seemed to walk it off, we left after I told the lady WTH are you bringing an aggressive dog to a public facility.
Fast forward two days and n and my pup was chasing lizards in my yard and all of a sudden started yelping, I didn't see what happened but he was holding the same leg up but now it was painful for him so I took him to the vet. By the time the vet looked at him he was able to walk on it so they took him back and checked him out, I heard him yelping then the doc came back saying that the injury was somewhere around the shoulder area but since he was walking they didn't think it was to bad but couldn't pin point exactly what the problem was without doing xrays and or a MIR, they want him to have a week of rest and minimal activity, I said that will be easier said then done and that this pup has a very high need for activity so they gave me a sedative called Trazodone , my question is, are there any other suggestions for calming a pup for a week of no physical activity without giving him drugs?
Also anyone else have any experience with front shoulder injuries? What ever happened my pup sure screamed like he jacked it up but today not so much, this morning he seems to be moving on his leg fairly well but with a slight limp, this is going to be a long week!!!
mrelite
Started
Started

Re: Front shoulder injury

Postby AverageGuy » Sun May 07, 2017 8:26 pm

Tough spot to be in. Does the pup like to swim/retrieve in water? Swimming with an easy gradual slope entrance/exit to the water is good exercise, easy on the joints and a good way to burn off some energy. Could paddle a boat with the dog swimming after you as another possibility. I would make sure the vet does not think this would aggravate the injury however. My experience is the non weight bearing movements of swimming have been good for injured/strained joints but I am not a vet.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mrelite » Mon May 08, 2017 4:54 pm

I don't have any water close by but that is a good idea.
It is the second day and no limping but the more I try to keep him from doing to much activity the more he bounces off of the walls, yesterday I gave him a couple doses of the sedative and all it did was make him like he was a drunk chewing on anything that he could get in his mouth, he didn't sleep at all. I think he is better having control over his movements so no more sedative unless he actually hurts it again and then I'll be forced to knock him out, I hate giving him sedatives.
mrelite
Started
Started

Postby ryanr » Tue May 09, 2017 12:36 pm

Your vet gave you advice and a course of treatment, you should actually do your best to follow it.

Unfortunately, dog parks are terrible places to bring dogs, particularly working dogs like ours. Hopefully your pup heals up none the worse for wear and you've learned your lesson about dog parks.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mrelite » Tue May 09, 2017 5:14 pm

Roger that, no dog parks ever again! if he ends up with a chronic issue it will be a pretty hard lesson for me to suck up. Years back I had a 10wk old lab that was safe in my fenced yard, a stucco company had the wrong address for a stucco delivery and the guy open my gate, let my dog out, then accidentally ran him over with his forklift, the dog suffered major injuries 4,500 worth, he was never able to hunt or be normal and died at 8 yrs old from issues related to the accident. Sure hope my pup heals too!

I definitely plan on following the Doc's orders I just didn't want to give him sedatives if I didn't have to, I knew it was going to be tough keeping this guy from activity but is even tougher than I expected, he is very hyper active and I may have to sedate him.
mrelite
Started
Started

Return to Healthcare