Itching, Scratching and Biting

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Itching, Scratching and Biting

Postby Dakotazeb » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:41 pm

I've posted this on another site also but thought I'd see what advice I can get here. The first week in January I picked up a 6 month old female Brittany from a breeder in Idaho and brought her to our winter home in Arizona. She had been an outside kennel dog until we got her. When we got back to Arizona we discovered she had a severe ear infection that we got cleared up quite easily. I'm sure it went un-noticed by the breeder since she was outside and in colder temps. At the same time she also seemed to be itching, scratching and biting at herself more than normal. It was quite general on her whole body with no apparent hot spots. My first thought was food, so I have her on a grain free food but can't really say it helped. She is also on Frontline Plus with no sign of fleas. As the itching got worse we thought of the possibility of mites/mange so my vet has given her an injection of Ivermectin and will follow up with two more 30 days apart. Last week the itching seemed worse so the vet put her on Temaril-P and now the itching has all but ceased. However, I know this is not a cure and only treating the symptoms. So we still don't know what the root cause. We will head north to our permanent home in South Dakota the first week in April. The plan right now is to keep her on the Temaril-P until we get back to SD in hopes that it is an environmental issue her in Arizona and it will clear up in SD. I've also tried various oils on her food and that hasn't seemed to have any positive effect their. Anyone have any insight on this? Thank you.
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Itching, Scratching and Biting

Postby orhunter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi George:

Ellie had something similar but also skin lesions so there was something visual to offer a clue. She'd never had anything like this and I thought it was fleas or from lying in the neighbors bark dust. It wasn't. I had her on the grain free/low fat stuff because of her Pancreatitis and thought I was feeding her good food. It wasn't compatible with her. I asked the vet what is in food other than grain that a dog might react to and she said the protein source. I switched her over to lamb base and got away from chicken and such. The Vet. also prescribed Apoquel and she's been great since. She'd been having problems long before the skin lesions appeared in great number, they looked more like flea bites. Then they got worse. She couldn't hardly live in her skin, it was driving her crazy. Now she's a new dog.

A note on Ivermectin: Best place to find it is at a farm supply outfit. Get a bottle of the injectable stuff and feed orally, 1/10cc per 10 lbs. Good for intestinal parasites, (worms) heart worm and can be effective against fleas and ticks immediately after receiving a dose. You'll need a couple of syringes, one for getting the stuff out of the bottle and the other for measuring and feeding. The one used for measuring and feeding doesn't need a needle. This stuff will save you a ton of money over the years because you don't need the other products.

Hope your pup is on the mend.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dakotazeb » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Harvey, in addition to the new food being grain free I did also change the protein source from chicken to Boar and Turkey. I had another person tell me about Apoquel. If she needs to be on a med long-term I might have to look at Apoquel since it appears to have fewer side effects. It is however on the spendy side. I'm finding it for about $2.50 per tablet, Are you getting it cheaper?
Janees August Breeze - Bree

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:38 pm

George:

I think I paid a whole lot less. I have a choice between two Vets since we have a houses in two different towns like you. Our regular Vet is very high priced for everything, I don't go there if it can be avoided. Luckily, every time something has come up with Ellie the past three years or so, it has been at the coast where the other house is. I can't believe how much money it has saved us. Something else about pet prescriptions. Your local human pharmacist can probably fill your pet's drug needs for less money. Where I get my own prescriptions they have a sign stating this service. Shop around, it's really worthwhile.

My receipt from Ellie's last visit must be at the coast, I can't find it here. We're headed down there early tomorrow, I'll see if I can dig it up and see what we paid.

Ellie's maintenance dosage is 10.7 mg for 53 lb animal. Initially, she was getting that twice a day but now just the maintenance dosage once a day. You can probably do a little simple math and figure out what your pups dosage should be then check around to see who has what. I have to break pills in half to get her the right dose.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:36 pm

Before getting carried away with vets and various meds, etc get a bottle of Gold Bond medicated foot powder. It contains eucolyptol which is a natural pesticide and is in itself, an anti itch powder. Coat the pup ....between the toes etc and give it a couple of days. It will pretty much eliminate outside sources as the cause.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare