Heartworm alternative - Sheep Drench

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Heartworm alternative - Sheep Drench

Postby JASmith » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:12 pm

So now and then I get off on a tangent and just start researching something to death, today it happened to be heartworm preventative.

I stumbled on this article, which seems to have some credibility. http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/20 ... -scam.html

Have any of you used Sheep Drench a couple times a year instead of the standard heartgard type meds?

Here is a link to the purchasable product. It seems to have overall favorable reviews on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Ivermectin-Sheep ... B002BADTYG

Application rates:
http://www.dogaware.com/health/ivomec.h ... heepdrench
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Heartworm alternative - Sheep Drench

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:05 pm

The site seems credible at first glance, but there's quite a few stretched truths that result in a lot of bad advice.

The older the worms get, the harder they are to kill. If you want to risk your dogs life for a few pennies, more power to ya.

OTC ivermectin MONTHLY is perfectly adequate preventative. Just be absolutely sure of your dose. Overdose causes seizures and coma, and there's no antidote other than time.

Terrierman implies there aren't significant populations of heartworm in northern climates. This is no longer true. I have personally treated 4 cases of heartworm in Muscatine Iowa this year. Heartworm is spreading north, despite preventative and weather.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 (197.5 Armbruster)
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JASmith » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:58 pm

Agreed, I don't intend to trivialize it like the article does, but it does seem blown out of proportion.
He did post the map that said there were around 500 cases in MN over some time period, which he suggested might be 7 years... so it isn't nothing, but it certainly isn't an epidemic.

Heartgard is pretty clearly an absurdly over priced product so I mostly was just looking for an alternative method for getting the same result, which seems possible with the Sheep Drench. With the range of weights to dosage that Heartgard sends in their pills, it doesn't seem like it needs to be precise to the pound measurement, otherwise they wouldn't have 30lb swings for one dosage of Heartgard.
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:23 pm

The doses listed online are typically 10 times higher than what is found in heartgard.

I treated a veterinary technicians dog for ivermectin toxicity once... she did the math wrong. The dog slept for 24 hours and gave the tech a heart attack, but was fine.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Heartgard is an overpriced treat with some medication in it. Ivermectin tastes TERRIBLE, so it's more of a compliance thing. Pills don't do any good if fluffy mcbiter won't eat it.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Smilin Jack » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:02 pm

Fluffy McBitter ........... LMAO Good one ....
If You Can't be a Good Example then You will just have to Serve as a Horrible Warning
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:34 pm

I've been using this for years: http://www.heartwormprevention.com/ I just squirt it in the back of my dog's mouth and chase it with breakfast.

With that said, following a comment from my vet, I determined that the dosing outlined by the seller is on the very high side of the minimum recommended dose. My vet said that the minimum dose for heartworm prevention is 2.72 mcg per pound. So my 55 pound dog would need, at a minimum, about 150 mcg of the above solution. Their website says the 0.05% solution has 461 mcg per ml, 3x the minimum dose. That said, the maximum safe dose is much higher than 2.72 mcg per pound. The heardguard 26-50# dose has 136 mcg and the 51-100# dose has 272 mcg.

This is simply FYI, you have to make your own determination for what's right, or more simply follow the advice of your vet.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare