Stitches and Staples...Ugh

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Stitches and Staples...Ugh

Postby JONOV » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:34 pm

Long story short, my dog got bit, and took four staples over five sutures. He's fine and on antibiotics and you wouldn't know he was hurt save for the shiny staples.

I'm not planning on duck hunting and don't think I will take him to the chapter meeting this weekend (HUGE bummer, a few things I wanted to work on, namely the water retrieve.)

A question I didn't remember to ask at the vet was about getting the area wet.

If I have to hose him off or if he jumps down in the creek, do i need to worry about getting the stitches/staples wet?
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Stitches and Staples...Ugh

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:19 pm

Keep it clean and dry for 10 days.

Where's the wound located?
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 (197.5 Armbruster)
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:43 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:Keep it clean and dry for 10 days.

Where's the wound located?

Thanks. Its behind the shoulder on the ribs. Fortunately he hasn't been picking at it so far, so I've only put on the Cone of Shame when I'm not around.

Would antibiotics cause the Diarreah I saw this morning? I know they cause it in humans.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:49 am

Yes, Antibiotics can cause diarrhea. Call your vet to determine when the severity of diarrhea exceeds the risk of infection. Without having seen the wound myself I can't advise on that.

The thorax is a good place for quick healing. A lot of bite wounds end up near joints of the front legs where skin moves during activity and this slows wound healing.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 (197.5 Armbruster)
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:57 am

Sorry to hear about your dog getting bit. What is the story of how it happened?
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Yes, Antibiotics can cause diarrhea. Call your vet to determine when the severity of diarrhea exceeds the risk of infection. Without having seen the wound myself I can't advise on that.

The thorax is a good place for quick healing. A lot of bite wounds end up near joints of the front legs where skin moves during activity and this slows wound healing.
Thanks. I'll monitor the diarrhea closely. The wound (to my non professional eyes) looks really good.

JTracyII wrote:Sorry to hear about your dog getting bit. What is the story of how it happened?
Not a whole lot. He was at the dog park, another dog got territorial about a stick and bit at him. He yelped and ran to my feet, and I checked him over but thought he was ok, and decided to leave since the the other dog's owner was on mars and not paying attention to his dog. I got him home and he seemed fine but I noticed a big blood stain where he had just rolled around. I looked more closely and there was a freakin hole in his side the size of a silver dollar. So we went to the vet and got stitches and staples. Now I have to find the guy to make sure the dog had his shots, and to advise him not to bring it around the dog park.

And yes, I know lots of you don't like dog parks.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:01 pm

I don't like people who don't discipline their dogs and end up attacking my dog.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:12 pm

Stitches and staples both? For something the size of a silver dollar you could have clipped the spot and loosely super glued it. What breed do you have?
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby slistoe » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:03 pm

hicntry wrote:Stitches and staples both? For something the size of a silver dollar you could have clipped the spot and loosely super glued it. What breed do you have?

Yeah, I was envisioning a dog ripped wide open, not something you wouldn't even notice on cursory examination.

Hopefully they left a drain.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:17 pm

HC, he's a German Wirehaired Pointer.

I'm not going to second guess the Vet's judgement. I've been really happy with him and he hasn't tried to upsell me with anything and his rates are very reasonable. Also, they never hassle me about not neutering him. This one is the bite pre stitches
bite3.jpg
Pre stitches
Attachments
bite2.jpg
Bite1.jpg
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:22 pm

Jonov, are you still in Eu. If so, I have always had the impression they keep their dogs under absolute control.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:30 pm

hicntry wrote:Jonov, are you still in Eu. If so, I have always had the impression they keep their dogs under absolute control.

Eu? Never been to Europe. I'm in North Carolina.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:14 pm

Must have you mixed up with someone else.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare