Fleas!!!!

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Fleas!!!!

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Because 2-4 years of scarring of the lungs is more damaging than melaraomine.

You do what you want, but don’t pretend it’s anything but being cheap.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Oh, and resistance isn’t from low doses of ivermectin- it’s from treating know. Positive dogs with a medication not developed for use against adult worms. Exposure of Heartworm to a medication not meant to kill them for several years has allowed them to produce genetically different (resistant) offspring.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:56 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:Because 2-4 years of scarring of the lungs is more damaging than melaraomine.

You do what you want, but don’t pretend it’s anything but being cheap.

So scarring of the lungs occurs whether the worms are dead or alive?

From https://emancipet.org/services/heartworm-treatment-faq/
How are the heartworms killed?
The first melarsomine injection is given after your pet has had a minimum of two months of heartworm prevention, and has completed 30 days of Doxycycline treatment. The second melarsomine injection is given one month later, and the third injection is given 24 hours after the second injection. This treatment protocol allows for the first injection to kill some of the worms and let the body clear them. The second and third injections will kill the remaining worms. By spreading out the treatment, there is less stress on your dog’s body and the treatment is less risky for your dog.
(emphasis added)

Why is the treatment risky for my dog?
The drug that is used to kill the heartworms is a very strong drug
(editor- arsenic base) that is hard on your dog’s body. As the worms die, they can cause inflammation and scarring of the lungs. (emphasis added) It is critical to minimize your dog’s activity during the treatment period in order to to minimize this risk.

Me? Cheap? Definitely, but not so much when it comes to my dog's health. I give liquid Ivermectin because I believe it controls heartworms more effectively than other products.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Started
Started

Postby flitecontrol » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:00 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:Oh, and resistance isn’t from low doses of ivermectin- it’s from treating know. Positive dogs with a medication not developed for use against adult worms. Exposure of Heartworm to a medication not meant to kill them for several years has allowed them to produce genetically different (resistant) offspring.

From the American Heartworm Society canine guidelines summary: While it is now generally accepted that isolated instances of resistant heartworms have been identified, the extent, the degree of spread, and the reasons for resistance are not understood and are controversial.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Started
Started

Postby hicntry » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:09 am

I used Seven Dust for fleas and ticks. I never gave the dogs anything to be ingested or absorbed to solve anything with an external source. For "hot spots' i used Gold Bond medicated foot powder because hot spots are usually mites and have nothing to do with allergies.

I used 1% ivo for cattle for heartworms because with 25 to 30 dogs it was loads cheaper and can be bought over the counter at the feed store. I followed the theory of making sure the dog was dosed long enough for the adults to die off I gave the dog a tad more than .1 mm because it couldn't be any worse than the treatment on of my first dogs got at the vet. In my area, the vets pushed the idea it was the worst area in the US for heartworm. LOL A standard sales ploy. After a couple of years of going to the vet religiously, I quit taking them altogether. After watching them without the vet care for the last 20 years, I noticed that they were living 3 to 4 years longer than when under vet care. That is a huge difference. I still have Harper, 7, and Tuco, 6. Harper was spayed, but, other than that neither has ever been to a vet. Neither has been vaccinated which is a BIG plus for them....and they all do it on Kirkland Super premium chicken and veggie.
Last edited by hicntry on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:45 pm

I've never understood resistance to common sense medications simply because of isolated (or narrowly segmented) failures. Its like saying your neighbor's baby had a reaction to the MMR vaccine and now you refuse to do it even though hundreds of millions have had it without issue.

I do understand HC's position...when you have more dogs you have to look at ways of economizing. Heck, I've mixed my own ear drops for the dogs.

Anyhow, old post that was resurrected by someone trying to generate traffic to sell his Essential Snake Oils.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to Healthcare