Broken Toe

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Broken Toe

Postby blue04 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:43 pm

One of my dogs started limping on a front paw this week. The vet took an x-ray and said it is very likely a fractured toe outside toe. They said there wasn't an obvious break on the film (IE: the bones are in alignment, etc.) but they apparently saw something that made them think there is a break.

The treatment prescribed was anti-inflamatory meds and *8 weeks of no physical activity*. I have no real reason to question my vet, but I've had a dog with a fractured toe before (several years ago) and I don't remember the rest period being 2 months. 3-4 weeks was probably closer to what was prescribed.

Does this seem abnormally long to anyone else?
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Broken Toe

Postby orhunter » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:40 am

I see another problem I would be more concerned with and that's the anti-inflammatory meds. Should not be given when bone fractures are involved. Slows down healing. I'd just wrap the foot with some stretchie wrap and a bit of duct tape and call it good. I got my DVM degree at Motel 6.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:50 am

I am wondering if the nail on the claw is still there ??

I would hand walk dog for pottie breaks , and shorten up his kennel run , so he can not jump, or pace.
Give it time, you have years ahead of you and him.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby blue04 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:16 am

Yes. The nail is in place and looks completely undamaged. The vet was a bit vague about the extent of the fracture. It seemed she couldn't say with 100% certainty that there was a fracture, but her gut told her there was probably something there.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:57 am

A break will produce quite a bit of swelling.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby randomnut » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:52 pm

Last Wednesday my dog jumped in the water after a run and came out limping. No punctures or noticeable problem. Called the vet and they couldn't get him in, but prescribed a pain/anti inflammatory medicine.

He was fine later, hunted 10 miles Thursday and 9 Friday. Loaded up after hunting Friday and noticed a pad pushing out and nail sticking straight up.

Called the vet again and they were able to get him in. Toe was broken, and advised they could splint, or leave alone.

They know how active he is, and said since he wasn't showing he was in pain, to try leaving it alone and see how he fared.

He hunted 15 miles Sunday with no issues.
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Healthcare