Coat problems in a PP

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Coat problems in a PP

Postby verno » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:20 am

I have a 6 month old PP with a medium coat. We had noticed over the last month, a strip down her back just to the right of center, where the coat is much shorter. At first I thought maybe it was just a spot where she rubbed while laying down in her kennel. Yesterday i bought a stripping rake and used that on her coat and a slicker brush. The rake removed a lot of the long wooly hair and gave me a better look at her back. It seems that some sports are splotchy where there is far less hair. Then there is a really dark patch of really short hair, so dense that it almost feels like there is something on it. None of this seems to bother her at all. She doesn't try to scratch or chew it. I was starting to wonder if this could be from putting the tick treatment on her? I don't remember putting it that far down her back though. None of the skin appears red or swollen. I will try and get some pictures after work today.
verno
Pup
Pup

Re: Coat problems in a PP

Postby blue04 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Hmm. From what you've described, I would start to think some sort of skin infection. I think a call and/or trip to your vet is probably in order.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:57 pm

Personally, I would get some Gold Bond foot powder and put it around the area first. Sounds like a slight infestation of mites. I would try that before the vets. Gold Bond has ucalyptol oil in it and is a natural pesticide.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:58 am

This is the time of year for fleas. Dogs that are allergic take just a few bites to create a skin infection and hair loss. Usually the hair loss is in the middle, but this time of year that's my first thought.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:29 am

Fleas came to mind also. Been bad for them. Generally I never have to treat for them but this year was different. Squirrels are the source.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Charli » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:16 am

Coats can and will change a lot in the first year or so. I would contact the breeder first with any questions but I wouldn't be too concerned. Depending on where you live, infestation may also be an issue but you should see evidence as such. In typical PP fashion, it may be from lying on their back or from entering the crate. My PP gets bald spots from the brush while hunting but that's exactly what the coat is for, protection.

Good luck!
Charli
Pup
Pup

Return to Healthcare