Glucosamine supplements.

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Glucosamine supplements.

Postby linderhof » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:30 pm

So I was at the Vet's today for our 6 week X-ray after the TPLO surgery and everything is progressing nicely. I asked him about glucosamine supplements and he pretty well implied he thought they are placebos to make the owners feel better.
Odd as in almost positive before the surgery he recommended them?
Does anybody here give them to their dogs and if so what dosages do you give them? With a 50-80% re-injury rate after theses ACL surgeries I sure as hell wouldn't mind spending money on something that might help? But the man is a board certified surgeon with thousands of surgeries under his belt who am I to doubt him?
linderhof
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Glucosamine supplements.

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:29 pm

Studies show mixed results, but most surgeons I've worked for recommend them.

My favorite product contains 900 mg and the recommended dose is 2 tablets for the first 6 weeks then 1 tablet daily thereafter.

Doc Evhas some insight from the human side, he will probably pitch in too.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby linderhof » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:48 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Studies show mixed results, but most surgeons I've worked for recommend them.

My favorite product contains 900 mg and the recommended dose is 2 tablets for the first 6 weeks then 1 tablet daily thereafter.

Doc Evhas some insight from the human side, he will probably pitch in too.

Thanks M67,
I was hoping you would jump in. I have every intention of supplementing, it's just a matter of choosing the best one from what is available up here in Canada.
linderhof
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Doc E » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:25 pm

I am a firm believer in supplementing with Glucosamine Sulfate + MSM, but there is even more evidence that supplementing with a certain Fish Oil is even better (I would recommend both).
To order, see my website at http://www.DocsDogNutriceuticals.iwarp.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here is an abstract about NutriWest Complete Omega 3 Essentials
A small but well done study shows that giving Fish Oil after CCL repair should decrease the odds of blowing the good knee.

Here's an abstact of the article that shows the biochemistry behind the protective abilities of giving fish Oil after CCL surgery.

For clarity, "AA", and the "MMP's" and "uPA" are the bad guys "TIMP" is a good guy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fish oil decreases matrix metalloproteinases in knee synovia of dogs with inflammatory joint disease.Hansen RA, Harris MA, Pluhar GE, Motta T, Brevard S, Ogilvie GK, Fettman MJ, Allen KG.
Department of Health Promotion and Human Performance, Weber State University, Ogden, UT 84408, USA.

This study was designed to determine whether dietary fish oil affects the expression and activity of matrix metalloproteinases (MMP), tissue inhibitors of MMP-2 (TIMP-2) and urokinase plasminogen activator (uPA) in synovial fluid from dogs with spontaneously occurring stifle (knee) instability in a single hind limb resulting from acute cranial cruciate ligament (CCL) injury. Two groups of 12 dogs were fed diets from 1 week prior to surgery on the affected knee to 56 days post-surgery. The fish oil and control diets provided 90 and 45 mg, respectively, of combined eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)/kg body weight per day. Plasma and synovial fluid, from both surgical and nonsurgical knee joints, were obtained at start of the diet (-7), surgery day (0) and 7, 14, 28 and 56 days post-surgery. Plasma total EPA and DHA were significantly increased, and plasma total arachidonic acid (AA) was significantly decreased by the fish oil diet. In synovial fluid from the nonsurgical knee, fish oil treatment significantly decreased proMMP-2 expression at Days 7 and 14, and proMMP-9 expression at Day 56, and uPA activity at 28 days and significantly increased TIMP-2 expression at Days 7 and 28.

/
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare