Tale of Two Hip Evaluations

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Tale of Two Hip Evaluations

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:06 am

OFA and PennHip evaluation x-rays taken during same visit. OFA evaluated as good. PennHip DIs of .73 and .65. The .65 hip shows signs of mild osteoarthritis and determined to be dysplastic.

I know each method looks at different aspects of the hips, but for one to determine OA exists and diagnoses as dysplastic and the other doesn't? Your thoughts?

Jay
The only thing worse than a bad dog, is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Tale of Two Hip Evaluations

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:53 am

Of the two, the Pennhip is more specific and I would consider it the better system.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:30 am

I am not a vet so I won't comment on either method of testing or their accuracy. What I will comment on is keeping your dog in good running order regardless of the tests.Go to Costco and get their 5# package of American cheese slices(or Kraft or whatever if you don't mind unwrapping each slice). Go to Walmart(or Costco) and get a bottle of 500 mil. Ester C. Start each day giving your dog(dogs) 1 Ester C wrapped in a slice of cheese. The synthetic vitamin C keeps the dogs lubricated.....all the joints elbows hips etc. Do it every day. The two dogs I have have been getting it 3 and 4 years now because they live in the house on hard wood floors. Neither has ever been to the vet and never been sick. So there are not side effect. I have been taking it for probably 20 years(2000 mil a day) because both knees are bad. When I started I was dragging my right leg and both knees ached 24/7.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 4746,d.cGc
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:40 am

Although PENN might be more accurate, OFA is still considered the "Gold Standard".

Last edited by Doc E on Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:55 am

Doc E wrote:Although PENN [b]might[/b] be more accurate, OFA is still considered the "Gold Standard".

Not by orthopedic gurus putting out CE recommendations. PennHip is gold standard, OFA is the functional test able to be performed by the majority.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:49 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:
Doc E wrote:Although PENN [b]might[/b] be more accurate, OFA is still considered the "Gold Standard".

Not by orthopedic gurus putting out CE recommendations. PennHip is gold standard, OFA is the functional test able to be performed by the majority.

Not by the majority of people in the dog world.
If you have 100 "dog people" standing around talking about hips. the majority prefer OFA, although an increasing number prefer PENN and some do both.

Maybe it's some kind of conspiracy as to why OFA is recognized by AKC and PENN isn't.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:56 pm

Who matters more? Breeders or orthopedic surgeons? I know who I ask for advice from in regards to orthopedic concerns...

The literature -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9 ... 47/related

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2 ... nhip%20OFA
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:07 pm

Doc E wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:

Not by the majority of people in the dog world.
If you have 100 "dog people" standing around talking about hips. the majority prefer OFA, although an increasing number prefer PENN and some do both.

Maybe it's some kind of conspiracy as to why OFA is recognized by AKC and PENN isn't.

It's more likely because those 100 "dog people" are familiar with OFA and not the relatively newer PennHip. But I think the reality within the veterinarian work is that PennHip is more comprehensive than OFA in it's overall picture of hip health. Lol, the "conspiracy" is just that OFA has been around longer and was the only method available for AKC to accept and it's also still more readily accessible throughout the country.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare