Pemphigus/prednisone/stick eating

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Pemphigus/prednisone/stick eating

Postby woundedknee » Wed May 25, 2016 10:56 pm

Hi. New member. Newish wirehaired griffon owner. He's a year old. He was diagnosed with pemphigus 6.5 months ago. Taking prednisone and doxycycline. Every time we try to taper back on the pred the pemphigus flares up, the bumps get bad and he rips out his hair trying to get relief, and we go back to square one. Has anyone had a dog with this and did you get a handle on it.
Prednisone causes excess thirst and hunger (it says so right on the bottle). He gets to drink freely but we monitor his food so we don't end up with a fatty. The problem is he eats dandelions and sticks like I eat Pringles. Our vet says don't worry about it, it's the medicine, he'll be fine. I actually could care less about the dandelions but the stick eating bothers me. My vet keeps telling me don't worry, he'll be fine. I've tried everything I know to stop the stick eating-shock collar, leash work, treat swap training. Nothing works. When he wants the sticks he's gonna eat them. Should I listen to the vet and let my blood pressure return to normal or does anyone have a training technique that might work.
Thanks in advance.
woundedknee
Pup
Pup

Re: Pemphigus/prednisone/stick eating

Postby bhennessy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:18 am

Woundedknee, I can't comment intelligently on your dog's underlying condition, but as far as stick eating goes my 17 mos old griff goes through wood like a beaver. I don't worry about it, and after some conditioning, neither does my wife now! It doesn't seem to bother him in the least.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Pemphigus/prednisone/stick eating

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:20 pm

Your better bet would be to transition to an immunosuppressant with fewer side effects, like cyclosporine.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare