Is Bravecto actually dangerous?

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Is Bravecto actually dangerous?

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:24 pm

I have given Bravecto to both of my dogs with no problems thus far.

bhennessy,

I have a 13 year old GWP who has a dense undercoat and heavy long outer coat. During the severe heat and drought in 2012 he developed some hot spots on his back for the first and only time in his life. My best guess was it was the combination of extreme heat, the deteriorating water quality in the lake where he swam daily and dead hair not letting air circulate to his skin. Has not happened since. Combing that dog periodically removes substantial quantities of dead hair which otherwise will not shed/fall off on its own.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bp17oang » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:00 pm

I have used Bravecto for 2.5 years with no problems. I also have my dog immunized for Lyme but we have a ton of ticks where I live in Ohio. Starting now (yes, I already found one last week) until November there is not a day I go outside and don't end up with a tick on me or my dog or both. He's a WPG so I personally prefer the added prevention. I can't imagine having to go through him everyday and being responsible for trying to find every single tick in his coat.
bp17oang
Started
Started

Postby bhennessy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:01 pm

Bravecto has been working great for my 2 yr old Griff. No fleas, no ticks, nothing despite living in the stray cat capital of the world (New Orleans). And the other shoe drops...

I had Bear in for his annual shots last week and my vet said they were not going to carry Bravecto in stock any longer due to the fact that the price is going to more than double shortly. He said I could order it via their website and wait for it to come in, or switch back to a monthly, which would be in stock and much cheaper.

I may try Trifexis again as Bear is now 72 lbs. I switched him off of it due to a bad reaction last year when he was much lighter in weight.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:54 am

We've heard nothing about a Bravecto price increase. That's weird.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:33 pm

jph wrote:enlighten us then Doc.

Lemon eucalyptus spray.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:52 am

Doc E wrote:

Lemon eucalyptus spray.

Dare you to try it in Maine...
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bp17oang » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:23 pm

bhennessy wrote:Bravecto has been working great for my 2 yr old Griff. No fleas, no ticks, nothing despite living in the stray cat capital of the world (New Orleans). And the other shoe drops...

I had Bear in for his annual shots last week and my vet said they were not going to carry Bravecto in stock any longer due to the fact that the price is going to more than double shortly. He said I could order it via their website and wait for it to come in, or switch back to a monthly, which would be in stock and much cheaper.

I may try Trifexis again as Bear is now 72 lbs. I switched him off of it due to a bad reaction last year when he was much lighter in weight.

My understanding Trifexis doesn't protect for ticks... just fleas and heartworm. I had my dog on Trifexis (for heartworm purposes) and Bravecto (for tick prevention purposes). The thing I didn't like about that was he was getting doubled up for flea prevention on those meds. So, I asked my vet why we were doubling up on the flea prevention and told her I was going to take him off Trifexis and go to using Ivomec (the injectable stuff for swine given to dogs orally). As expected, she nearly had a meltdown and told me I could stop Trifexis and use Interceptor. I agreed because Interceptor is way cheaper than Trifexis and actually treats/prevents more types of worms than Trifexs.

This was Saturday and she did not mention Bravecto increasing in price.
bp17oang
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:56 pm

I don't know what Ivermectin costs these days but when I bought a bottle, it was $36 at the local farm supply. That's enough to treat several dogs for a loooooong time.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bp17oang » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:13 pm

orhunter wrote:I don't know what Ivermectin costs these days but when I bought a bottle, it was $36 at the local farm supply. That's enough to treat several dogs for a loooooong time.

No disagreement there... still way cheaper than Interceptor. My vet guilt tripped me but like I said it's still better than Trifexis. Plus, I know the formula is .1 per ten pounds, I have the syringes to draw it, I do shots and meds for my farm animals. But I am still leery of mixing my own cocktails for my dog. I will probably get over that when I have a second... and third dog!
bp17oang
Started
Started

Postby ryanr » Wed May 03, 2017 1:48 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
Doc E wrote:

Lemon eucalyptus spray.

Dare you to try it in Maine...

Heck, I dare him to try it here in Pennsylvania. After another generally mild winter, Penn's Woods are expected to lead the nation this year in reported cases of Lyme's Disease. I find numerous ticks on me and the dog most every time we go afield. He's been on a monthly Simparica pill since last Summer and I regularly spray my clothes and boots down with my homemade Permethrin 10 mixture. I'm not a fan of pesticides in my dog's bloodstream either but I'm also a realist and the topicals were not working (he's tested positive numerous times for both Lyme's and anaplasmosis.) Thankfully, he's a strong, healthy dog and has never shown any debilitating symptoms of either illness.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dakotazeb » Sat May 13, 2017 6:48 pm

My dog may have Demodectic Mange. Biopsy results coming next week. If it is Demodectic Mange my vet said they would treat it with Bravecto. So I've read about some studies that have shown a 100% reduction in Demodectic mites within 28 days. I also read that Bravecto may also kill Sarcoptic mites.

I see some discussion on this thread regarding price. My vet gets $48 for a tab that lasts 3 months. I don't think that's bad at all. It's not much more than 3 months of Frontline.
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:29 pm

Works like a charm for demodex.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Tue May 16, 2017 12:06 pm

orhunter wrote:I don't know what Ivermectin costs these days but when I bought a bottle, it was $36 at the local farm supply. That's enough to treat several dogs for a loooooong time.

I'd like to know more about self-treating dogs with a tube of ivermectin. Dosage? How many people here do this and with what results. I have heard it works well on heartworms, but what about the whipworms and other various worms dogs can get?
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Bravecto versus Simparica

Postby bhennessy » Mon May 29, 2017 10:37 am

My vet isn't going to carry Bravecto in stock any longer so when Bear's three months are up I'll need to decide what to switch him to. Anyone have any feedback on Simparica, is it a good product for fleas and ticks?

My 72 lb WPG is on the six month injection for worms which seems to have no side affects.

Thanks in advance.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:48 pm

Simparica is faster at killing ticks than Bravecto. It's what I use on my own dogs. I can't remember when to give the 12 week drug, so I stick with the monthly version.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Healthcare