Allergic reaction to ant bites?

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Allergic reaction to ant bites?

Postby Densa44 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:07 am

Has any one seen this before? We didn't have a winter in Alberta this year and we are getting insects very early that I haven't seen before. One of the dogs had her eye swollen shut yesterday and we had to go to the vet, she got high doses of an antihistamine both IV and IM and seems fine to-day.

Anaphylactic shock can kill and it was very close.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Allergic reaction to ant bites?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:23 am

I see it all the time, we have a lot more insects down south that bite and sting. Sometimes you don't ever know what the dogs got into, their faces just blow up like balloons. Keep Benadryl at home and give it at the first sign of allergic reaction, it will buy you time to get to the vet if your dog is particularly prone.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:12 pm

Thread reminds me of how many times my dogs got into yellow jacket nests. They would come in, heads swollen to twice the normal size, eyes almost totally shut. I would open their mouths and scrape the yellow jacket out from between their cheeks and gums and get the benedryl out. Last time it was over a week before their heads were getting back to normal size.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DuckHunt » Fri May 13, 2016 2:40 pm

When my dogs get allergic reactions I usually just give them Benadryl. Talk to the vet, but it works well for me.
DuckHunt
Pup
Pup

Return to Healthcare