Osteochondrosis dissecans/OCD?

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Osteochondrosis dissecans/OCD?

Postby SoMnguy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:02 am

Is anyone familiar with this? Have yoy ever had a dog with this condition? Do you believe it is genetic/hereditary?

I have a young pup that was diagnosed about a month ago. I talked to several vets and the breeder and there were differing opinions all around. I've been told the dog may be only 50-70% of what it could have been, but also you'll never know she had it. Two vets recommend surgery immediately well two others said she is too young for surgery and to treat her for a month with Dasuquin. We're trying the Dasuquin method and the limp has gotten noticeably better.
SoMnguy
Pup
Pup

Re: Osteochondrosis dissecans/OCD?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:43 am

OCD is absolutely genetic and affected dogs should not be bred.
The new recommendation is to monitor until the dog is mature, and perform surgery only if the dog is lame enough to cause problems or doesn't resolve. My boss did surgery on her competition border collie so it wouldn't slow training. He felt better in 48 hours and was back to training in 6 weeks.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SoMnguy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:25 am

Thanks, so far the vets have said it's genetic but when I called the breeder to inform him of the diagnosis the first thing he said was that it isn't genetic. She is guaranteed, and he has been very cooperative so far, offering to pay for half the surgery, but if she doesn't need surgery do you feel the contact should still be held up? I've already spent $350-400 between x-rays and the medication and she will need at least one more round of x-rays.
SoMnguy
Pup
Pup

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:04 pm

Here's an article from the college of Veterinary Surgeons. Its a multi-factorial disease, but genetics DOES play a role. The contract terms are between you and your breeder. Was your dog purchased as a breeding candidate? This disease should not affect your ability to hunt with your dog long-term, provided it is treated as needed based on symptoms. My bosses dog had surgery 3 years ago and has gone on to win herding competitions.

https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/osteo ... e-shoulder
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SoMnguy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:25 pm

Never planned on breeding her, I don't know anything about it or taking care of a litter of puppies, it wouldn't be fair to her or the puppies. Much more concerned about long term health. I've been told that if taken care of you'll never know she had it, to the other end I've been told never to run her on pavement. One vet said hunting her one day and giving her a day of recovery would probably be best, another said it can definitely cause arthritis at an early age. I think I'll give her the Dasuquin forever just to be on the safe side.
SoMnguy
Pup
Pup

Return to Healthcare