Trifexis Reaction

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Trifexis Reaction

Postby bhennessy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:54 pm

My 13 month old WPG moved up to the 60-120lb pill last night (he's 65 lbs) and is a complete zombie today. He's been essentially catatonic all day. The vet seems unconcerned as the packaging says "lethargy" is a potential side effect. Does anyone have any experience with this reaction? Thanks in advance
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Trifexis Reaction

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:31 am

I've not seen this particular reaction, but I'm not surprised. I would recommend plenty of fluids and an ER visit if she's refusing fluids, vomiting or showing more than mild lethargy.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bhennessy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:12 pm

Thanks Misskiwi. He was back to his crazy self the next morning. I'm going to look for alternatives to trifecta however as this is twice it has really knocked him for a loop. The first time was when he got our other dog's pill out of her food dish before we could stop him (he'd just had his) and now this time when he bumped up to the next weight category. Clearly he has a bad reaction to higher doses, and I do wonder if this is causing lasting harm.

Perhaps he can go back down to the "up to 60 lb." category and it will still be effective enough? He's 65 lbs.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:33 pm

Never under dose Heartworm prevention. It's too important.

I'd recommend trying Heartgard instead.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bhennessy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:00 pm

Following up on this thread...
Bear got a gash on his paw/ankle yesterday while swimming. It wasn't too deep, but he must have nicked a blood vessel so I took him to his vet to get a couple stitches. Afterwards, he and I spoke about Bear's reaction to trifexis, which he thought was manageable by switching treatments.

Bear is now on the heart worm injection (6 mo cycle) and Bravecta for fleas and ticks. I haven't seen a flea in years since my dogs have been on trifexis, so I hope things don't change. Bear was already taking Bravecta for ticks anyway.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby barkster » Tue May 24, 2016 9:11 pm

This is fairly common with trifexis. My dog was on it for about 2 years, we switched her off for this exact reason. We now use heartguard & nexgard instead. The nexgard also takes care of ticks which trifexis does not. Our dog doesn't seem to have any negative reactions as we would commonly see with trifexis. Dogs are fairly good at masking symptoms, so we you can actually notice the symptom, then it must be really bothering them...
barkster
Pup
Pup

Return to Healthcare