Broken Toe Nail

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Broken Toe Nail

Postby njp158 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:37 am

My dog broke a toe nail last night. It's pretty far down, close to the fur. I did a search and read the comments about using super glue and thread. So far I've cleaned it up, but some syptic powder on it and coated it in neosporin. The nail is still very much intact, just has a break in it, enough to bleed quite a bit, but not enough to be able to cut off.

If I were to take the dog to the vet, would they cut the nail off that far back? It would be 90 percent of the nail, almost down to the fur. It doesn't seem to be hurting to bad. She isn't really limping or anything like that, but you can tell it's a bit sore as she doesn't want me to touch it. Trying to decide weather to go the super glue route, or if a visit to the vet is warranted.
njp158
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Broken Toe Nail

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:17 am

My current dog averages breaking off one a year on frozen ground and ice. The vet trims or rips off the broken nail exterior leaving an open and red core. I have the vet do it so my dog does not hold it against me because it is obviously painful for a moment. It is sore for a few days and then seems to be a non issue after that, while waiting of the nail to grow back over it. The dog will hunt immediately following if I allow him to do so, but I usually wait a few days if possible. All have healed up without incident or medication.
Last edited by AverageGuy on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:31 am

Yea, vet will whack it off. They have some "magic dust" they dip the nail in which stops bleeding. This scab is not bullet proof. You can maybe make a cap for the nail with 5 min. Epoxy and toilet paper. Mix the epoxy and put a gob over the nail then place the toilet paper over the end of the nail and work it back over the sides of the nail. Use very little pressure, be gentle, so as not to destroy the paper. Probably need 3 or 4 layers. Trim excess when glue hardens.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:59 am

Depending on the break, I actually grab it with clamps and yank it off more often than not. You have to remove everything past the crack, or it will continue to wiggle and bleed. For most dogs I will give some lidocaine first, but a well trained hunting dog with a calm temperament won't need it. Yank HARD, like ripping off a bandsid in one pull.

After the offending nail is gone, the trick is to keep the nail clean and dry (ZERO LICKING) for 48 hours. This allows the quick to shrivel up and it will no longer be a problem. 95% of nails will grow back normally.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare