Pancreatitis

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Pancreatitis

Postby orhunter » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:57 am

Lanco: Great stuff, thanks for getting back to this.

I'll take the time later today to get back with some more info and comments. Stay tuned.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:16 pm

Let me go back over some very old stuff. Many years ago when I was buying dog food, I didn't have my reading glasses and did not find Canola Oil on the label of a sack of food. Ellie immediately reacted to this new food with the odd ingredient which I identified when she became ill. Put her on a bland diet and she got back to her old self quickly. She was really in bad shape for a couple of days, not unlike now. She's had no gastrointestinal problems since that one incident.

I was at the vet office on Friday, trying to obtain some Rimadyl. Dr. wouldn't give me any, saying it wasn't compatible with her diagnosis. I told her I convinced her diagnosis was 100% correct since Ellie showed no signs of severe pain and recovered so quickly. She showed me the lab report. It was different than what she'd told me over the phone. In our phone conversation, she said only one of the values was above normal when in fact there were two, both associated with the Pancreas. I don't have the blood report in front of me so can't quote anything.

Friday evening when I fed Ellie, I fed her around 40% of her regular food she'd been eating along with the low fat stuff, plus a dab of yogurt. Saturday AM, she wouldn't eat breakfast, pretty miserable. Didn't barf. Took her for a walk and she wasn't very enthusiastic. Made her dinner, low fat stuff with chicken, she didn't really want it right away but ate a little bit later. Wife took her for a walk around 7:30 PM, didn't do well, wife cut the walk short. She finished her dinner a little later. I gave her some chicken later and she liked it. This morning she wanted her breakfast, chicken and white rice. She's still a little lethargic, not her happy self.

I haven't officially cancelled my ND trip but probably will since she can't/shouldn't take Rimadyl and she will need it after hunting.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bullfrog » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:35 pm

orhunter,
How's your pup feeling these days?
Better I hope
bullfrog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:38 am

She's doing great but I still have her on the home made bland, fat free diet. Ground chicken, brown rice, sweet potatoes, carrots, spinach, cauliflower plus 1200 mg calcium and magnesium. A couple of boiled eggs each day for snacks. Pain in the neck to have to make a batch every few days and expensive. She's got a ton of energy but skinny without fat in her diet. I feed her quite a bit.

Need to find a commercial food that she can eat. Very reluctant to try something that may put her back where she was.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:59 pm

I have had a couple clients with various health issues that required a low fat diet have success with Holistic Select Weight Management. It has 7% fat on a dry matter basis, one of the few with fat content comparable to prescription diets.

http://www.holisticselect.com/weight-ma ... ngredients
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:49 pm

Thanks MissK. Was wondering just how much fat she could tolerate. Hate to make her sick again but that's a chance I'll have to take.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:23 pm

Orhunter check out getting a membership to a restaurant supply store if you have one in the area. I fed my Cane Corse chicken and rice his whole life. Rice at restaurant depot was 25-30 bucks for a 50 pound sack and chicken leg meat no bones is 30 cents a pound when you buy a 40 pound case that contains 4-10 pound bags. I fed 3 cups of raw chicken for every 1 cup of dry rice. He weighed 130 pounds. Hope that saves a couple bucks.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:07 pm

MissK:

Couldn't find your recommendation where I checked. Found other types, same brand, not that one.

Been feeding her a mixture of three low fat (7%) varieties in addition to the home made. So far, she's tolerating it well. Seems to be putting a little weight back on.

LongH: Thanks for the tip. Hope I don't have to resort to that. Time will tell.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Healthcare