Pissing blood!

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Pissing blood!

Postby STait » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:48 pm

This is my 7 month old pointer Copper pointing a bird between us.

After he flushed and chased the bird 500 yards he started hunting 600 yards to the front. I walked over the hill and there was an antelope buck between us. If he'd been wearing an E-collar I could have taught him a good lesson, but unfortunately he started after the buck full tilt, and out of sight and off the Garmin he went. Found him about an hour later about 2 miles away as he seemed to be making his way back. But, he was hammered! He was already sore and thirsty, so I picked him up, gave him some water and headed home. When I let him out to be kenneled he looked like he was limping on all four legs;-) Anyway, he drank a bunch of water and went to bed. I just got him out two hours later and he is very sore and walked over and pissed a bunch with a fair amount of blood in his urine. The prey drive in this line of pointers is over the top and he really overextended himself. I hate to see a young dog do this. Hope he's okay in the morning!!! I really like him!

Any advice on making his life easier??

Steve
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Pissing blood!

Postby STait » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:10 am

He looks like a new man this morning although not 100%. No more blood.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Dakotazeb » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:55 am

Was it for sure blood? Bright red? Or was more of a rusty, darker color? I had this happen to my Brittany a few winters ago. Had her out in some deep snow where she really had to exert herself. After I got I home I noticed what appeared to be blood in the urine. Got a sample and went to the vet. No blood. Apparently when a dog has a very strenuous exercise there is a break down (destruction) in the muscles. This is called Myoglobinuria. The myoglobin is released from the muscles and is then passed out of the body through the urine. I would never have seen it if we hadn't had snow on the ground. It is something to watch in the dog as it can become a problem. I've never seen it again in my Brittany. Google "Myoglobinuria in Dogs" on the web and read about it. My guess is this is what happened to your dog.
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby STait » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:40 pm

Actually it was dark so I couldn't tell the exact color! What you are talking about makes more sense though. Thanks, I appreciate the information! I will google it and learn more about it!

Steve
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby STait » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:23 pm

After reading quite a bit about the Myoglobinuria, I'm sure that's what it was. I know this dog and he is a BEAST. He is definitely NOT in good enough shape to run at full speed for several miles, which I know he had to chase for at least 2-3 miles for him to be where I found him, maybe much further. I doubt I'll see it again as he is only 7 months old and getting stronger all the time. He only had it show up half way through his urination last night and not at all today. He's also about 90% back to his lively self. I will give him a few days off just to be sure.

Steve
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby gusto » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:02 pm

Nice looking dog!
gusto
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby STait » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:51 pm