Neutering's affect on muscle tone?

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Neutering's affect on muscle tone?

Postby ryanr » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:53 pm

This post links up with my post on CCL injury and what I'm currently dealing with regarding my dog. Given the fact I think my dog's leg issue has gotten a bit worse and the ligament's uncertain future I'm strongly considering putting a deposit down for a female GWP out of a great breeding that just happens to be with my training partner's outstanding female. If I do so I would likely get my male neutered since I don't plan to breed him anyway. I'd have done it already but I've been concerned that doing so would negatively affect his excellent muscle tone which I and the vet believe is helping keep his knee stable and protect the ligament from more serious injury. I have a vet appointment tomorrow and plan to discuss it but I'm also wondering what some of the vets here think: does neutering account for any measurable affect on muscle tone?

I'm also wondering if neutering might calm him a bit more? (he's very much Go, Go, Go) Which might help both of us if I can't hunt him as hard in the near future.

Thanks for your thoughts.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Neutering's affect on muscle tone?

Postby orhunter » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:52 pm

I'd wait till two years..... But, if you don't have a reason to do it, don't do it at all.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby lanco » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:00 pm

If he remains active and you control his weight it won't make a huge difference. If you can manage the situation through the bitches first few heat cycles (not always easy) you can see if she is really worth breeding if not you could spay her and leave the male intact. His caloric needs will decline so adjustment of his diet will be needed.
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:35 am

orhunter wrote:I'd wait till two years..... But, if you don't have a reason to do it, don't do it at all.

The dog is 3yrs old and there is a specific reason I'm asking. It wasn't a "at what age should I neuter my dog" question.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:36 am

Thanks Lanco, I appreciate your opinion.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare