Rimadyl?

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Rimadyl?

Postby orhunter » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:55 am

What does it do? If a dog has a mild injury or just getting old, does it mask pain so the dog can go out and injure its self even further? Ellie is pushing 12 and getting a little sensitive in the back end. Want to make another trip to ND but after a long walk in the woods a few days ago, she was really hurting. After a few days on Rimadyl, she seems a lot better. It actually seemed to work pretty quickly.

Thanks
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Rimadyl?

Postby Dakotazeb » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:48 pm

Rimadyl is an anti-inflammatory. Kind of like you taking ibuprofen or a prescription drug like Celebrex. I've used Rimady for the past 20 years with very good results. Especially good for an older arthritic dog. I had a dog develop hip dysplaysia late in his life and the Rimadyl did wonders for him. He couldn't hunt anymore but his quality of life improved substantially. I mainly use it now if I see that my dog may be a little stiff and sore after a hard day of hunting. As far as I'm concerned it works well, has no noticeable side effects and is much safer than aspirin.
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Rimadyl?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:25 pm

Rimadyl is the same class of drug as Ibuprofen, but MUCH safer for dogs tgan human medications.

It reduces inflammation, improves mobility and quality of life. It has allowed my husbands 12 year old lab to continue to hunt. Her joints are so bad she probably would have been put down if she didn't have her meds, she can barely move without them.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare