First aid kit list

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

First aid kit list

Postby Addicted2fowl » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:16 pm

Hey guys, as my first real gun dog will have his first real hunting season this year, what are some good lists for a complete first aid kit for my buddy? I get the typical wraps and stuff but want a good kit that covers all aspects that could crop up in the field.
"Real dogs have beards"
Addicted2fowl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: First aid kit list

Postby bullfrog » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:24 pm

I'm not really sure I've figured this out yet. I'd like to see some replies on this as well. I know one thing...once you need something in the field but don't have it, you will always have it in the future!
What I have done is find a "gun dog first aid kit" online and just read through the contents. You can come up with everything yourself for cheaper but have more of it as well. Plus you can include good pliers or multitool instead of cheap tweezers or forceps that might be included. I'm a fan of also having a good blood clotting sponge to get bleeding stopped quickly.
So far...worst thing I've encountered is a pretty good cut on a pad, but he didn't seem to mind it even though is was bleeding like crazy.
bullfrog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Freeze » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:12 pm

The 2 things I have used that were not included in the kit as it arrived:

1. Pliers for quill removal. I recommend that you get a small set that is spring loaded so they self open. I was able to pull far more quills in the same time than my buddy who had a sticky set that he had to manually open and close.

2. Benadryl for reactions. My GSP is quite allergic to bees, but has a fondness for catching and eating them .... not a good combination. I like 25mg tablets since they are easy to match to a dog's weight, figuring I can get down to 12.5# increments by using half tabs and an overdose is unlikely.

Good luck this season.

-Freeze
Freeze
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Addicted2fowl » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:55 pm

Oh thanks freeze... Good idea. Ya I'll look over the kits and see what they have generally.
"Real dogs have beards"
Addicted2fowl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:47 pm

Things from my kit I have needed - hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. Benadryl after a bee sting. And just this week saline eye wash and a bootie to keep her from scratching her eye until we could get it rinsed out.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Addicted2fowl » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:07 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Things from my kit I have needed - hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. Benadryl after a bee sting. And just this week saline eye wash and a bootie to keep her from scratching her eye until we could get it rinsed out.

to induce vomiting do you mix with water or just straight?
"Real dogs have beards"
Addicted2fowl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby blue04 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:48 pm

Saline is a must. I can't count how many times I've used it to rinse debris out of my dog's eyes.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:27 am

Addicted2fowl wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:Things from my kit I have needed - hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. Benadryl after a bee sting. And just this week saline eye wash and a bootie to keep her from scratching her eye until we could get it rinsed out.

Give it straight, make them walk around. Repeat if they don't vomit in 5-10 minutes.

Something to keep in mind, if this does not cause vomiting, it can result in some nasty stomach ulcers. They WILL need to see a vet for stomach Protectants if they don't puke it up.

I do not use peroxide on wounds. It does little to clean and more to damage tissues. Copious flushing of clean water is better for wounds.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mgrucker » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:12 am

My kit is is for both me and my dog, most of the stuff is the same.

Off the top of my head I have a bag packed with:
- eye wash
- ear rinse
- hydrogen peroxide
- Vetericyn wound gel (don't remember exact name)
- a set of booties from dogbooties.com
- assorted gauze/bandages/wraps and tape
- assorted bandaids
- triple antibiotic ointment
- scissors
- pliers
- benadryl
- hydrocortisone cream
- tweezers
- isopropyl alcohol
- mushers secret
- advil
- tums
- bar of antibacterial soap
- antibacterial hand gel
mgrucker
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby 3drahthaars » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:45 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:
Addicted2fowl wrote:

Give it straight, make them walk around. Repeat if they don't vomit in 5-10 minutes.

Something to keep in mind, if this does not cause vomiting, it can result in some nasty stomach ulcers. They WILL need to see a vet for stomach Protectants if they don't puke it up.

I do not use peroxide on wounds. It does little to clean and more to damage tissues. Copious flushing of clean water is better for wounds.

X2 about the peroxide

I carry betadine soln' and a dilution of some blue stuff my wife brought from the vet school. (can't get near eyes, though!!)

Benadryl... because it was also recommended for snake bites.

Eye wash

Multi tool with pliers like Leatherman

wound wrap and gauze

bova crème

EMT gel

Listerine (the old yellow formula) for skunks... I swear it works, even if a skunk has emptied its complete sacs on your dog. At least it makes them tolerable in the truck or home. It takes/took about 6 months for the complete smell to wear off.

Good luck,

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 41magsnub » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:10 pm

In addition to what is listed, I carry a surgical stapler that I had a dermatologist hunting buddy show me how to use.
Styptic pencil (this is after my dog cut the crap out of the inside of her earflap on barbed wire and did not want to quit bleeding even with pressure, but wasn't bad enough I wanted to use up an expensive quick clot pad.
A light weight muzzle
A cheap light nylon sling for my shotgun. I figure if I have to carry the dog out I'd rather not have to leave the shotgun behind.
41magsnub
Pup
Pup

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:31 pm

41magsnub wrote:A cheap light nylon sling for my shotgun. I figure if I have to carry the dog out I'd rather not have to leave the shotgun behind.

Genius. I will add this to my kit.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare