Yeast (Ear) Infections

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Yeast (Ear) Infections

Postby P Squared » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:07 pm

Hi,

My dog (Pudelpointer) has been having reaccuring yeast in her ears. I have had her to the vet several times and he has given me anti fungal cream which seems to work but it keeps coming back. He suggested that I try changing her food and I. I now use Acana Lamb and Apple. We have been through one complete big bag and the infection is still there. She has now also developed it in her vaginal area. I have a vet appointment tomorrow to get some more cream but also discuss other options going forward.

I am just wondering if others have experienced such things and what have you done to help curb these infections.

Thanks.
Ryan
P Squared
Started
Started

Re: Yeast (Ear) Infections

Postby marysburg » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:23 pm

We had years of itchy misery with our yellow Lab, and finally requested allergy testing. We had tried many different foods and spent a fortune,but never found one that worked, until we had the list of allergens and we could find a dog food that didn't contain them. She was much improved, but because she also has allergies to grasses and trees, summer is tough. She is much better in the winter. Looking back, we regret not having the allergy testing done sooner and feel that she suffered a lot because we weren't aggressive enough getting help from the vet. Good luck with your pup.
marysburg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby lanco » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:23 pm

Unless your dog is living in the pool or pond (always wet) allergies are the most common culprit. Routine ear cleaning can be helpful for some dogs but others will need some form at allergy testing and some combination of : desensitization, diet change and anti-inflammatory medication. Just buying a different bag of OTC food is rarely going to solve anything (not even Spirit of the Qunapec Tribe All Natural Organic Warthog Blue Lightning Bolt). If I suspect food allergies I prefer a hydrolysed protein diet and total elimination of all other protein sources touching the dogs tounge. That means NO: table scraps, dropped food, raw hide, deer antler, training treats, dripped icecream ect. That's tough to actually accomplish and thus the "diet trial" phase of a dermatology work up is frought with frustration. On the ant-inflammatory / immunomodulation front we have seen good results with a new drug called Apoquel. Thus far we haven't seen any serious side effects and most dogs have responded well. It's still early for this drug but going forward it is likely to become a significant tool in treating canine skin allergies.

Canine dermatology is a frustrating situation. It's important to be patient. It's also important to make it clear that you want definitive care for this reccurent problem since most dog owners actually prefer repeated symptomatic treatment due to the cost and time involved in treating a serious derm case properly.

Just stating all that makes me glad that I am an emergency veterinarian and have limited "derm" to deal with :lol: !
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GWPtyler » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:21 pm

Our oldest had constant ear infections. The vet suggested he might have food allergies. We were impatient and didn't want to go through all the food testing, so we simply switched from Purina to Nutri-Source. No reason other than a suggestion from a close friend.

It's been two years and he hasn't had an ear infection since...knock on wood.
GWPtyler
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby lanco » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:31 pm

Yes, I do understand that positive results occur in association with random diet change. But it really doesn't generate a diagnosis per se. As I stated, few people want to move through a systematic approach to these problem, that OK in most situations, but for recalcitrant cases a more "by the book" plan is in order.
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby P Squared » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:53 pm

She does swim at least once a week. And her ears are quite hairy. I try and pluck the hairs as much as possible. Not sure what it may be. Hopefully the vet may have some insight tomorrow.

Thanks and I'll post tomorrow what the vet has to say.
Ryan
P Squared
Started
Started

Postby vman » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:04 pm

JMO,, before you drop a ton of money at the Vets office get the dog on some type of antibiotic and stone out the infection. Once it is gone feed www.fidovite.com as a supplement to your feed. You can also try yogurt w/whole pumpkin. Not as potent as Fido Vite but does work in most cases.
If these do not work then do all the testing and pay the Vet. My money is on the Fido Vite. Been there and done that.
http://www.rockwoodkennels.net
http://www.dogtra-ecollars.net

Home of the Versatile Vizsla

Northern Lights Tricky Dick UT PZ2 198pts
Rockwoods Csouarberki Estike UT PZ1 201pts.
Rockwoods Beretta UT PZ1 193pts.
Rockwoods Kivalo Maverick UT PZ1 196 pts.
VC Rockwoods Kivalo Supertramp UT PZ1 204 pts
VC Rockwoods Kivalo Gunsmoke UT PZ1 204 pts.
FC Rockwoods Little Nutsy 24months 28days
vman
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:04 pm

Do you give your kids Flinstones gummy vitamins when they have an ear infection too??
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby P Squared » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:08 pm

Just back from the vet. He flushed out the ears and gave me the same cream as before (Otomax), which does clear it up. And then he gave me another cream to use once a week after its cleared up. It's called Ketoconazole/Triacinolone. He said that this cream should prevent the yeast from coming back. As well he gave me Viaderm KC cream for the vaginal area. Other then that he just suggested to keep her ears clean and dry them whenever we are finished swimming or baths. Hope this works.
Ryan
P Squared
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:47 pm

After water exposure, flush the ear canals with a mixture of water, alcohol and vinegar.

If Otomax clears it up, it probably isn't an allergy.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby fuzznut » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:26 pm

have a terrier who had a constant yeast ear problem. The otomax would clear it up for a time, then back it would come. I put her on a total raw diet, then slowly switched to a grain free dry food.

So far, it's been about 3 months and no ear infections.... am keeping my fingers crossed.
fuzznut
Started
Started

Postby ANick » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:32 pm

Ughh.
My first GLP developed this and the best I could say is that we managed it. Various ear rinses, ointments and diet changes came and went. Diet changes were without notable change. Some respite with rinses and ointments but it seemed that over time effectiveness of a product would lessen (yeast developing resistance?) and we'd change. Careful trimming of the dog's hair on the inner side of the ear and around the head and neck to let air flow as much as possible had a huge impact, but still just kept things to a dull roar.

Next pup came from the breeder with a dose. He had a significantly heavier coat than my first so the hair trimming was of even greater importance. 'Maintenance' was about the same as the first, similar results to food and diet, and treatment products had a similar effectiveness. It is well worth noting that a few of those products were immediately discontinued due to skin reactions. The worst of those was a bright reddening of the tissue and obvious distress of the dog. Did a water rinse a couple times, a very mild dog-shampoo wash and followed that up with his 'normal' rinse later and things calmed down.
We did see a change in the appearance of the yeast in his latter years, less that dark, soft-waxy, nutty-must smelling to something less dark, not as odoriferous and not as thick for the most part.

On the 'good side', the Q-tip ritual was one that the latter 'pup' came to thoroughly enjoy. So much so that I found I could bribe him into a much less resistant state doing the nail trim. The look he gave me the first time I showed him the Q-tips in one hand and the nail trimmers in the other was priceless! "Oh man... that is just so uncool, low, base, etc. I never knew you to be cruel! Oh, woe!!', all rolled into one look. Then he just wilted to the floor on his side. Stayed a limp noodle throughout the nail trimming to hurry up and get to the Q-tip goodness. Also handy at the Vet's office for ear exams. :)

It's a pain in the neck to have to deal with the yeasties... but a bit of goodness can come from it?

Nick
(Not that I'm *that* much of an optimist...)
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Doc E » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:27 pm

The #1 cause of "yeast overgrowth" is from antibiotics.
The antibiotics kill the bad bacteria and they also kill the good ones.
A proper balance of gut flora is important to keep yeast in check.
Get your dog on a HIGH QUALITY probiotic and I'll bet the ears get just fine.

A decent alternative to probiotic pills is a quality yogurt. "Nancy's" or "Stonyfield" are good brands.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:25 pm

Doc E wrote:The #1 cause of "yeast overgrowth" is from antibiotics.
The antibiotics kill the bad bacteria and they also kill the good ones.
A proper balance of gut flora is important to keep yeast in check.
Get your dog on a HIGH QUALITY probiotic and I'll bet the ears get just fine.

A decent alternative to probiotic pills is a quality yogurt. "Nancy's" or "Stonyfield" are good brands.

Maybe in people. In dogs the #1 cause of yeast otitis is atopy, followed closely by conformation, and swimmers ear. I see yeast infections daily in dogs that have not been on antibiotics for months, if ever.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:37 am

It's going to cost him maybe $10 for probiotics / yogurt to see if I'm right or wrong.
I'll bet I'm right - and even if I'm wrong, it'll be good for the dog.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Healthcare