#2 problems

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

#2 problems

Postby Deuce » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:02 am

Warning, not for the faint of heart/easily grossed out.

My two older GSP's, 10 & 12, are having some stool issues.

When we returned home from vacation 3 weeks ago our dog sitter (same one we've had for 3 years), mentioned that they were pretty loose and mucousy. 2-3 days went by and I didn't notice anything different, they were completely normal for those 2-3 days. Then, same thing happened both had mucousy and runny stool. Needing to go out in the middle of the night, my oldest went in the house a few times while we were out, which never happens, etc. Just awful. We took 24hrs off food and then switched to ground venison and rice with the fat drained off. After about a week - 10 days they solidified, and I transitioned them back to regular kibble, dr. tims. They've been fine since Monday. Then, in the middle of the night last night, the 10 y/o woke me up to go out and proceeded to have another runny/mucousy BM.

I had a stool sample run a week and 1/2 ago on both dogs and no worms/tapeworms showed up. No special treats. Nothing different, even with the sitter. She knows to keep them on their normal routine.

What gives?

Is the Pursuit too rich for older dogs who are less active? What would have brought this on? Other thoughts?
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: #2 problems

Postby carramrod » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:49 am

Had a similar issue with our miniature schnauzer a few months back. Vet thought it might just be a bacterial imbalance in the GT. Went with the bland diet, and they have us some Purina forta flora (sp) packets to sprinkle on the food. He was back to normal in a few days, and hasn't come up since.

They also said the food might be too high in fat for him. But he's been on it for a while and is actually still on it, with no issues.

Good luck, and you may want to hit up Costco for some carpet cleaner.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GWPtyler » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:21 pm

My 5 yo GWP has had on-off diarrhea. Last year he was diagnosed with giardia, but that cleared up with meds. I haven't been able to really link anything except that it seems to flair up when he gets especially anxious. The last time was right after we moved to our new house. Sort of clears up on his own. The telling difference between his normal bouts and the giardi was the latter resulted in extreme lethargy and weakness, which prompted a vet visit.
GWPtyler
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Deuce » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:37 pm

GWP - That is what I'm thinking... although they've never had this type of anxiety before. Similar to your pup, no other symptoms. Besides needing to go more frequently they're completely normal.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GWPtyler » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:00 pm

Deuce wrote:GWP - That is what I'm thinking... although they've never had this type of anxiety before. Similar to your pup, no other symptoms. Besides needing to go more frequently they're completely normal.

He also recently (within the last few months) started eating grass. Even as a pup he never did this (the lone exception was when he had an intestinal blockage and was eating grass in order to throw up).

The big difference is this it the first summer he's had to sit on the sidelines while I train the young up-and-comer. Remy still gets exercise and a bit of work, but nowhere near his little brother. I'm guessing all those factors come into play.
GWPtyler
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Doc E » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:04 pm

Treatment : 1 heaping Tablespoon of pure canned pumpkin (not the kind with pie spices)
and 1 heaping Tablespoon of a quality yogurt (Nancy's or Stoneyfield) with the dog's food. Twice a day for 5 to 7 days.

Maintenance : Same as above, but only twice a week.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby vman » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:31 am

Treatment : 1 heaping Tablespoon of pure canned pumpkin (not the kind with pie spices)
and 1 heaping Tablespoon of a quality yogurt (Nancy's or Stoneyfield) with the dog's food. Twice a day for 5 to 7 days.

+1

Or something that works even better and less hassle is www.fido-vite.com Excellent product made right here is Wi.

With that being said, I have noticed some of these issues with customer dogs and I believe the hot weather / algae also contributes.

Something you may want, and I recommend that everyone have in their Doggie first aid kit is some Cephelexin and Metronidazole. Just ask your Vet for some to have on hand for when the squirts show up.
http://www.rockwoodkennels.net
http://www.dogtra-ecollars.net

Home of the Versatile Vizsla

Northern Lights Tricky Dick UT PZ2 198pts
Rockwoods Csouarberki Estike UT PZ1 201pts.
Rockwoods Beretta UT PZ1 193pts.
Rockwoods Kivalo Maverick UT PZ1 196 pts.
VC Rockwoods Kivalo Supertramp UT PZ1 204 pts
VC Rockwoods Kivalo Gunsmoke UT PZ1 204 pts.
FC Rockwoods Little Nutsy 24months 28days
vman
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:12 pm

Doc E wrote:Treatment : 1 heaping Tablespoon of pure canned pumpkin (not the kind with pie spices)

I recommend this. If this is not successful, then a vet visit is in order.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:03 pm

~
I keep both Fenbendazole and Metronidazole on hand for gastrointestinal issues. One for parasites the other for bacteria. Not sure if it is still available but Purina's Fortiflora or an other Probiotic are also options. If you think the food is a problem you might cut back on the amount.

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby lanco » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:11 pm

Actually I would say if it's both dogs affected there is may well be an underlying infectious cause. Giardia and whip worms can be hard to detect by fecal flotation. If you really want a diagnosis have your veterinarian run a more in depth fecal through a reference lab. If you want emperic treatment 5 days of fenbendazole should eliminate either organism. The odds that both dogs have simultaneous stress collitis or imbalance of intestinal microbiota seems low. That said a probiotic (commercial or live culture yogurt) isn't going to hurt anything.
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Calvinator » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:25 pm

have them checked for Cryptosporidium, giardia and coccidia.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deuce » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:02 am

Update: reduced food amounts have things back to normal. I'll keep updating should things change. Thanks for the input all.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare