? ? Purina "Forti Flora" ? ?

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

? ? Purina "Forti Flora" ? ?

Postby Doc E » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:15 pm

I was just reading about Purina's "Forti Flora. and it leaves me wondering how safe it actually is.

It has ONE so-called probiotic, which is Enterococcus faecium.
This bacteria has some negative findings.

Here is the first line from the abstract :
"The characteristics of Enterococcus faecium have led to concern regarding the safety of probiotics that contain this bacterium. The results of an in vitro filter mating assay indicate that a probiotic E. faecium strain might be a potential recipient of vancomycin resistance genes."

Here's the actual link to the whole article : http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/32/9/1384.full

So, IMO, if your dog takes Forti Flora, poops, licks it's butt then gives you a kiss, you might be asking for trouble.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: ? ? Purina "Forti Flora" ? ?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:10 am

Good to know. I keep a box around at all times, it's great for reducing the nasty gas that occurs after the pups eat something dead in the field.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby lanco » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:01 am

Most enterics can receive plasmids, you are waaaaaaayyyyyyy more likely to get resistant pathogens by visiting your MD that from dog slobber, my wife (MD) sees major restance issues daily to weekly, I (DVM) see them quarterly. That said don't French kiss your dogs! For all the hand ringing about what veterinarians and farmers do with antimicrobials it's a drop in the sea compared to all the severely debilitated, profoundly non-compliant H.Sapiens who are wondering the earth and most especially health care facilies everywhere colonized with multiple multi drug resistant organisms. The things I've seen done with antibiotics since my wife started her residency are beyond mind boggling!
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:00 pm

I haven't used Forti-flora but I use similar pro-biotic product from Nutri-Vet that work the same for settling nasty gas & diarrhea in my dog and restore healthy gut bacteria. Not worried about "how safe is it."
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mbulg » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:41 am

I found it in my dog's probiotic treat called "Proflora".
mbulg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Healthcare