Infraspinatus Muscle Contracture

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Infraspinatus Muscle Contracture

Postby Duckdog17 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:06 pm

Yep...Jäger pup's officially on the "IR" list for a while. :(

This all started back toward the end of January. I had a couple of "out of towners" that I took for a day of pheasant hunting, and other than unseasonably warm temps, which are always hard on the dogs, everything went fine. Actually, it was a pretty darn good hunt!

The next day, it was just Jäger and me, so we took it a little slower but again...other than being wore out from hunting and exhausted from the warm temps, he seemed fine.
We picked up all of the "No Trespassing" signs and closed out the season a week early because I was going in for another shoulder surgery the next day...
Jäger slept the whole 4 1/2 hours home, which is pretty normal after a hunt. Once we got home, I opened the back door to let him out (he was sleeping in the back seat, folded down) and as soon as he started to walk, I could see he looked lame. :(

I'll back up just a bit...When he went to get out of the truck, it almost looked like he didn't do a very good job of supporting his own weight when his front paws hit the driveway. It's hard to explain, but it kind of looked like he was so tired, (to the point of being "loopy") that when his front paws hit, the weight pushed his shoulders up too far.
That is the only instance that I can pin point where this might have happened, but I wouldn't say I'm 100% convinced of it either.

So, the next day, I had surgery and he slept all day anyway. Which is totally normal after a big hunt.
The next day, I could see that he wasn't improving, so I had my son help me load him up and drive us to the local vet.
The vet did some xrays to rule out any breaks, and they all looked fine.
He put him on some Dermaxx and off we went.
The Dermaxx helped control the pain, but he still had this "limp", but it really wasn't a limp. More like an altered gait.
So, I talked with the Vet and he extended the Dermaxx but it didn't help. He wasn't in any pain, but there was obviously something wrong.
After talking with the vet again, he referred me to an orthopedic veterinarian.
It didn't take him long to diagnose Jäger with "Infraspinatus muscle contracture", and once I read about it, it fit all of his symptoms to a "T".
Unfortunately, it's only fixed by surgery. :(
This is the first sentence of the description of it on the "American College of Veterinary Surgeons" website...
Injury to the infraspinatus muscle is a relatively rare condition that is most commonly seen in highly athletic dogs, usually after vigorous activity such as bird hunting.

https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/infra ... ontracture

He had his surgery on Thursday and I got to pick him back up yesterday.
The vet tech that checked us out said, "...so he'll probably be pretty stoned for the next couple days..."

I really think the Fentanyl patch is making him feel worse than anything else, but it's probably helping an awful lot too. In the grand scheme of things, he's actually doing pretty good.

I've got a feeling that once I take that patch off on Monday, keeping him "restricted" is going to be a chore!
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Infraspinatus Muscle Contracture

Postby marysburg » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:43 pm

I know a PP who at the age of 11 went through this same surgery. He was sound as a dollar afterwards and hunted for another season or two. All the best to both of you with your shoulder surgeries.
marysburg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:15 am

Glad it is something fixable. Dang that's a good lookin' dog!!!
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:57 am

Thanks guys...
It's amazing how quick this procedure "fixed" the problem.
The way the ortho vet described it to me, is that scar tissue that forms is almost like a steel cable holding the arm/shoulder back, and once it's released it allows it to return to the normal position.
I wish I'd have taken more before and after pics...It really is amazing.

Just as I figured, he's feeling MUCH better today, and the next week and a half is going to be a chore keeping him "restricted".
I almost feel like 2 weeks is/was being a little conservative?? He wants to run soooooo bad, and I have to keep reminding him to not pull on the lead too much when he's on "free lead". (I could heal him the whole time, but he get's his "business" done sooner if I give him some freedom)
But, obviously I'll follow the Doc's orders.
I hate the 2 words "scar tissue"!!
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby lanco » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:38 pm

The inscision needs to heal but thats it. No tendons, ligaments or bones to heal = no lengthy exercise restriction. Glad your pup is feeling better!
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby greg moyer » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:29 am

Went through the same thing last December. Yep the hardest part of the healing process was trying to keep her "restricted".
IMG_20141230_193255217.jpg

The good part was the recovery time was short.
IMG_20150127_124900084_HDR.jpg

Glad all went good and plenty of time before the season starts!!
greg moyer
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:43 pm

Wish you both a speedy recovery.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare