Paw injury before NA test

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Paw injury before NA test

Postby Dmog » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:26 pm

Well, just got back from vet and Ira was put under to clean up a paw injury. Something poked through the toe area and became infected. Vet sedated him and lanced and cleaned the area up, put him on antibiotics. Put a sock on him tonight to try and stop the licking, may have to get a cone. Anyway, he was to run his NA this Sunday am. Not looking too good for that right now. Decided to call and cancel in case there is a waiting list. Last chance to run NA, turns 16 months the 15th. I guess I am wishful thinking he will heal really fast, but my better half asks me if I'm crazy?
Mog: Half man, half woolly dog.
Dmog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Paw injury before NA test

Postby GPBLITZ » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:59 pm

missing the NA test isn't the end of the world.
GPBLITZ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:30 am

That sucks. Definitely wouldn't run him. Don't want to be back at the vet doing the same clean up a few days later.

Jay
The only thing worse than a bad dog, is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:42 am

That stinks, but dogs heal up pretty quick from those types of things. Perhaps, see how he's doing Saturday evening but yeah it's not the end of the world to miss it if he's not ready to go.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Constructeur » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:23 am

I'd either hit the next test at the closest chapter or sign up for the end of Summer test.
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Hdc » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:06 am

I'll trade you my dog's paw injury for yours, provided that we can also agree to trade the vet bills.

That does stink. We were set to run the UT and about a week or two in advance, my dog got his toe hung in my wooden fence and just about chewed his entire front foot off getting out. Spent two weeks at the state vet school, had one surgery, had part of one toe amputated and was in a bandage or cast/splint for about 6 weeks. He is still limping a little, but walks on it more and more each day.

The one good thing is that hunting season is several months away such that both of our dogs should be back up to speed when its time to do what they were born to do.
Hdc
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby lanco » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:53 pm

Yeah I once stupidly took Ava out after only 6 days rest with the same type of injury Dmog. Foot looked good, she was running hard in the yard no limping. End result was it reopened packed with marsh ick and we had to dog a much bigger second surgery and lay her off 2 weeks (the duration I should have rested her initially). I felt really stupid to, since I always order 14 days rest for my clients dog and here I was doing something stupid that I would gripe about anyone else doing.

HDC, glad your boy is healed!
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:03 pm

I went through this same ordeal with J├Ąger right before his HZP.
He'd ran (what I believe was) a locust thorn all the way through his foot.

We had a few more days than you did to nurse it along though, and although he wasn't 100%, he was still pretty good.

Wishing you and your dog the best...
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:22 am

Well, the paw is healing nicely, we did not do the NA test but IRA recieved a prize I for couch resting....then had it promptly taken away when the wife saw him! It was hard for me not to go, I changed my mind about three times back and forth and finally decided better safe than sorry. In all honest, it was and is still not ready to be exposed to hunting conditions. Ira does not buck brush all that much, but once he is on fresh scent, look out, he will bull doze through the briars where the rabbits wouldnt go.
Mog: Half man, half woolly dog.
Dmog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Healthcare