Severe Pad Injury

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Severe Pad Injury

Postby Hdc » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:34 pm

While I was at work yesterday, my 3 year old PP apparently was jumping on my wooden fence when he hung a front toe between the crack of two fence boards. As you can see from the pic, he gnawed a hole in the fence to get himself out, but in the process he mutilated the pads on his toes and lost a tooth. Looks like he stuck his foot in a meat grinder.

He's been at the vet since yesterday and I will likely pick him up tomorrow. My vet advises that we have to focus on getting his foot well before we will know the next step which could range from a fully healed foot that needs no other attention to pad transplants to amputation of one or more toes. I trust him and what he says makes sense, but I have never had to deal with anything like this before.

Any suggestions regarding what I should be asking my vet or what I should be doing to help my dog would be welcomed. I feel helpless in all this, and don't want to look back a year from now and wish I had asked something or steered his recovery in a different direction.

Of all the bad things that could happen to my dog, I never contemplated something like this.
Hdc
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Severe Pad Injury

Postby lanco » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:07 pm

Unless he skinned a couple of toes completely most pad injuries heal with time. Did he break any bones? Did he sever any flexor tendons, do the affected toes have sensation? Which toes are (most) affected counting his dew claw (present or not) as toe 1? I've seen lots of dogs drug behind vehicles (tying a dog on a 6 foot lead to the side of your truck bed = fail) that had a tragic amount of bone showing on the bottoms of their feet that eventually healed. If you can post pics it would be interesting. Sorry your dog had this freak accident.
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Hdc » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:26 pm

That's the problem. He may have skinned them completely. They were so bloody and mangled when I was with him at the vet yesterday that you really couldn't quite tell. I should have taken some pictures, but did not. The vet doesn't think we are dealing with any broken bones or severed tendons. Not sure about sensation. The most affected toes are the middle two. Luckily no bone was showing. The vet said his foot looked much better this morning. They did some sort of water therapy on his toes/foot this morning, and I think they plan to repeat that this afternoon and tomorrow morning. I'll try to get a picture or two and ask the more detailed questions that you have presented. Thanks for you input and concern.
Hdc
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:28 pm

Ianco, do you have any experience with negative pressure wound therapy?

Its technology I've not had an opportunity to try but is supposed to speed healing for severe wounds like what you describe.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby lanco » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:34 pm

I think using such a system on a V-dog with 3 good legs would be a challenge :lol: . I haven't used them. Ive seen enough dogs heal some absolutely stomach turning injuries from dragging with : sugar&hydrotherapy, bandages and nitrofurazone equine wound dressing, silvadene +/- insulin topical, wet to dry, granulex, and some hard luck cases just an oral antibiotic. Dogs are amazing granulators I think good basic care ( debride, flush, bandage, appropriate anti-microbials) is the mainstay the rest is helpful but I've seen numerous methods work in 15 years. FWIW I really like sugar and there is some amazing data out there (especially human data) showing it succeeds where other methods fail. Human side my friends who have had wound vaccs for faciotomies and other wounds haven't healed particularly fast.
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby lanco » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:39 pm

HDC it usually looks terrible day 1 but once it is cleaned up, the swelling improves and the dead tissue "declares" itself its often ok. Practically the two middle toes bear the most weight so salvaging at least one would be optimal but I've seen dogs adapt to all sorts of things. If there is some pad left its usually ok if you get the chance and you can stomach it get lots of pics. Hoping for the best for you and your buddy!
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:52 pm

lanco wrote:.....nitrofurazone equine wound dressing

+1 -- That is some good stuff....I keep it and Neo-predef for such occasions. My retriever trainer buddy has been using it for 25 years.

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:44 pm

Holy cow!!!! Wishing the both of you the best.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Hdc » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:12 pm

Just heard from my vet. My boy is doing as good as can be expected. Said it looks like all the pad is gone off the 3 toe but some left on the 4th (or vice versa). Too early to tell if what is left on that 4th toe will make it. They are going to x-ray tomorrow morning to check for fractures. Doesn't appear to be any tendon damage at this time, but still too early to be certain. I should get to take him home for the weekend and go back on Monday for more treatment.

Thanks for your concerns.
Hdc
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:36 pm

Real sorry about your dog HDC. I sure hope he heals up and his foot will be okay.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:49 pm

Sure sorry to see this!
I hope to see a speedy recovery!
Not much worse than seeing your best buddy hurt like that.
Best wishes...
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Huntin4fun » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:56 pm

Wow. Wishing you the best.
Huntin4fun
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Camspal » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:22 pm

Damn!
That really sucks!
Hoping nothing but the best for Cricket and you.
Please keep us informed on how he is doing.
Best wishes, Mil
Camspal
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Deuce » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:25 am

Terrible... Wishes for a speedy recovery!!!
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby CEA » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:05 am

Sorry the hear this HDC. Best of luck to you. Ill be thinking of both of you.
CEA
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Next

Return to Healthcare