I'd like to put some weight on my dog...

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: I'd like to put some weight on my dog...

Postby Huntin4fun » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:04 pm

Doc E wrote:
Duckdog17 wrote:Honestly Doc,...this is getting a little old.
If you have something to add to MY original question/post, then by all means contribute.
But this waiting on all of the others to post, so you can take your shots is ridiculous.
If this is drama from some other thread,...then settle it there please.

Thanks,
Kevin

If it were me, I would supplement with Olive oil if it were just for weight gain.
NEVER with Corn oil because it is so high in Omega-6 that it is highly pro-inflammatory, whereas Olive oil is anti-inflammatory because of it's Omega-3 content.

Our dogs get Fish Oil and a soft boiled (organic) egg every day, so they don't need additional oil for weight gain.

May I ask why you boil the egg?
Huntin4fun
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Doc E » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:46 am

Huntin4fun wrote:May I ask why you boil the egg?

Either boil or fry the egg.
I prefer that my dogs get an egg white that is already coagulated rather than having to have the dog "chemically coagulate" the albumin with Biotin.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Huntin4fun » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:59 am

Doc E wrote:
Huntin4fun wrote:May I ask why you boil the egg?

Either boil or fry the egg.
I prefer that my dogs get an egg white that is already coagulated rather than having to have the dog "chemically coagulate" the albumin with Biotin.

Good info, thanks!
Huntin4fun
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Doc E » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:27 am

Prior to Biotin being named, it was called the "Anti Raw Egg White Factor".

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Mumpy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:44 pm

Doc E,
I respect your opinion on this subject so I'd like to ask a question if you wouldn't mind helping out. Would it hurt if I gave my dog a boiled egg prior to a hunt, if, say we're not releasing the dogs for an hour or so? I've got a woodcock trip scheduled this coming weekend and was thinking what would be a good little nutritional snack to give him prior to the hunt and also since he'll be burning so many Calories what I could do to the Dr. Tim's 30/20 to kind of assist it a bit?

Thanks
Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger...
Mumpy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Chadwick » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:36 am

In terms of putting on weight, I have found that green tripe as a supplement to the regular food works well. It can be hard to find though. I buy mine from a person who specializes in procuring raw food for pets.
Chadwick
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:42 am

I have heard this recommended before and am kind of surprised it hasn't been brought up until now.
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:48 am

I just came from a NAVHDA seminar on nutrition but I'll let the Vets respond to that. NO extra weight, you could be causing joint problems, he looks very healthy at his "fighting weight" and that is where he should stay. You should be able to see the last rib.

The dog will live longer and put less stress on his joints as he hunts his heart out for you.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Huntin4fun » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:20 pm

Duckdog17 wrote:I have heard this recommended before and am kind of surprised it hasn't been brought up until now.

Most don't consider the nutrition worth the smell! :lol:
Huntin4fun
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ryanr » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:53 pm

Doc E wrote:
Duckdog17 wrote:Honestly Doc,...this is getting a little old.
If you have something to add to MY original question/post, then by all means contribute.
But this waiting on all of the others to post, so you can take your shots is ridiculous.
If this is drama from some other thread,...then settle it there please.

Thanks,
Kevin

If it were me, I would supplement with Olive oil if it were just for weight gain.
NEVER with Corn oil because it is so high in Omega-6 that it is highly pro-inflammatory, whereas Olive oil is anti-inflammatory because of it's Omega-3 content.

Our dogs get Fish Oil and a soft boiled (organic) egg every day, so they don't need additional oil for weight gain.

But are they board certified eggs? :D

Duckdog, I give my own "lean and mean" DD some Olive Oil on top of his Dr. Tim's 30/20 (I just eyeball pour a tablespoon or two over it) and lately I've been hitting my supermarket seafood counter up on Mondays for all the half-price cooked portions of tuna or sockeye salmon fillets they're trying to get rid of that didn't sell over the weekend. SUPER CHEAP! I freeze 'em and dole them out in his food throughout the week and pour his kibble right over it. The drooling bugger thinks he's gone to heaven now! He also usually gets a slice of uncured bacon and sometimes an egg when I make a good breakfast on the weekends. He sees me throw some bacon in the cast iron skillet and he knows It's On!

My boy was often a little loose to but I now frequently sprinkle probiotic capsules over his food or a few dollops of probiotic yogurt and it has worked wonders for him.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:10 am

I wouldn't put any weight on a hard working dog, you could cause joint and ligament damage. Can you see the last 2 ribs? If so he is good to go.

The Vet speaking at the NAVHDA annual meeting in Portland had a lot of very good information on animal nutrition. Maybe you can get a copy of her slides.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:44 pm

We've had great success in the past "Weight-in" up dogs using a dried fat supplement from Happy Jack Dog products. It comes in a bucket and you sprinkle it on the food you normally feed. (providing you're all feeding quality stuff). The fat burns and creates energy for our four leggers, energy they need in the GO season, at a level that runs off the charts. We have used this for our FT'ers too to round em out when they get a bit too lean.

Dr Tims food is a great base,
PURINA PRO Plan is good too,
these are the two foods we feed and we've never had a dog that didn't gulp it down.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Healthcare