I'd like to put some weight on my dog...

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: I'd like to put some weight on my dog...

Postby Georgia Boy » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:37 pm

I use coconut oil as a supplement. A raw egg yolk is also a good
fat source. If you are going to feed the whole egg it should be cooked as raw egg whites
can cause problems.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion. http://www.vommountaincreek.com
Georgia Boy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:42 pm

Thanks GB,

Just to ease your mind...
I don't feed a full meal before an upland hunt, (which are few and far between this year), unless he has an adequate amount of time to digest. If it's going to be a couple hours (or so) before the tailgate drops,...he gets his breakfast.
If not, he'll get small snacks throughout the day/hunt.
After a long, hard upland hunt, I'll feed him just a little more than his normal ration of kibble.
For waterfowl hunts, I feed on a normal schedule.
Having been off work for over 9 months now, and him being by my side for dang near every minute of that time, I can GUARANTEE you that there isn't a more "consistent" scheduled dog alive! :)
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:58 pm

Doc E wrote:missikiwi

From my post above : "I'll be very interested in their (our resident Vets) "take" on Dr Tim's suggestion of corn oil."

I don't recommend nutritional supplements unless there is a medical deficiency. I recommend feeding a quality food, if the dog needs more calories, feed more food. My opinion would be the same weather the recommendation was corn oil, fish oil, or coconut oil.

I also worry about pancreatitis when supplementing more than skin supplement volumes of oil. I see just as many dogs in the ER die of pancreatitis as I do of bloat.
Last edited by Misskiwi67 on Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:58 pm

Double Post
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:15 pm

Can you explain the connection between supplementing with oils and pancreatitis?
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GPBLITZ » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:09 pm

My vet recommended putting fish oil on dry dog food . used it for many years. We have a female that no matter what dry food we feed she'll turn her nose up unless there's a little fish oil on it.. Cutting open a fish oil tablet and putting it on her food she cleans all her food up. I have to go by what works for the dog. She puts on weight, maintains her weight and looks good.
GPBLITZ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:38 pm

Doc E wrote:Are you telling me that your Vet recommended that you use this chemical slop ?

Compared to the dead vermin my dogs might pick up and eat out in the field or the nasty water holes they might drink out of I doubt a little sugar or chemical slop is going to make that much difference. It doesn't really matter whether he did or not.....I'd trust his advice over that of an opinionated chiropractor any day.

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:32 pm

By supplementing oil you are increasing the fat content of the diet for a dog that is already on one of the highest density feeds available. High fat diets are associated with increased risk of pancreatitis. A fish oil capsule or two is no big deal, but enough to add a couple hundred or more calories per day to make up for heavy activity is different.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 61/?page=1
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:13 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
Doc E wrote:missikiwi

From my post above : "I'll be very interested in their (our resident Vets) "take" on Dr Tim's suggestion of corn oil."

I don't recommend nutritional supplements unless there is a medical deficiency. I recommend feeding a quality food, if the dog needs more calories, feed more food. My opinion would be the same weather the recommendation was corn oil, fish oil, or coconut oil.

I also worry about pancreatitis when supplementing more than skin supplement volumes of oil. I see just as many dogs in the ER die of pancreatitis as I do of bloat.

So, you're saying that Dr Tim is incorrect --- Right ?

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:19 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:
Doc E wrote:Are you telling me that your Vet recommended that you use this chemical slop ?

Compared to the dead vermin my dogs might pick up and eat out in the field or the nasty water holes they might drink out of I doubt a little sugar or chemical slop is going to make that much difference. It doesn't really matter whether he did or not.....I'd trust his advice over that of an opinionated chiropractor any day.

cr

So we have Vets right here on this forum that disagree (have their own opinions) on various subjects.
There are a number of questions you should ask your Vet about your chosen product.
The first question should be, "Since dogs don't see yellow, why do they put artificial yellow color in it? "
BTW, this "opinionated chiropractor" is a Board Certified Clinical Nutritionist.

Doc E
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Doc E wrote:
Coveyrise64 wrote:

cr

So we have Vets right here on this forum that disagree (have their own opinions) on various subjects.
There are a number of questions you should ask your Vet about your chosen product.
The first question should be, "Since dogs don't see yellow, why do they put artificial yellow color in it? "
BTW, this "opinionated chiropractor" is a Board Certified Clinical Nutritionist.

Why are Ibuprofen red, why is butter yellow? While I agree with dyes being unnecessary if thats your primary concern its a pathetic one.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:55 pm

Honestly Doc,...this is getting a little old.
If you have something to add to MY original question/post, then by all means contribute.
But this waiting on all of the others to post, so you can take your shots is ridiculous.
If this is drama from some other thread,...then settle it there please.

Thanks,
Kevin
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:58 pm

Doc E wrote:BTW, this "opinionated chiropractor" is a Board Certified Clinical Nutritionist.

Wow....now I can see why you feel so under appreciated on a v-dog forum! I seriously doubt my dogs care about your certification but just in case is it OK if I mix in some Ol' Roy with their crap nutritional supplement?

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:12 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Why are Ibuprofen red, why is butter yellow? While I agree with dyes being unnecessary if thats your primary concern its a pathetic one.

Pills and food for humans are colored because we see colors.
Butter is yellow from the naturally occurring beta carotene.
Crappy dog foods and animal supplements are colored for the sake of the humans giving them.

And I see that once again you avoided answering my question : "So, you're saying that Dr Tim is incorrect --- Right ?"

Doc E
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:21 pm

Duckdog17 wrote:Honestly Doc,...this is getting a little old.
If you have something to add to MY original question/post, then by all means contribute.
But this waiting on all of the others to post, so you can take your shots is ridiculous.
If this is drama from some other thread,...then settle it there please.

Thanks,
Kevin

If it were me, I would supplement with Olive oil if it were just for weight gain.
NEVER with Corn oil because it is so high in Omega-6 that it is highly pro-inflammatory, whereas Olive oil is anti-inflammatory because of it's Omega-3 content.

Our dogs get Fish Oil and a soft boiled (organic) egg every day, so they don't need additional oil for weight gain.

Doc E
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Healthcare