Wired Hair Pointing Griffon Allergies

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Wired Hair Pointing Griffon Allergies

Postby Steve@56 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:48 am

Hi Folks,

I have a 2 year old male Griffon with terrible allergies, we have tried everything....grain free foods and all of the over the counter stuff...i.e. benedryl and other allergy meds. He suffers from hives on his stomach (itching), ear infections and excessive shedding. He sheds so much he is bald in some areas. The one med that works is prednisone, but the side affects are bad for him in the long run. Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated....THANKS in advance.

I have him on Atopica at this time..
Steve@56
Pup
Pup

Re: Wired Hair Pointing Griffon Allergies

Postby orhunter » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:04 pm

Might be Alopecia, that would explain hair loss. Google it for info. See if it fits the symptoms.

First thing to do is put the dog on a bland diet of brown rice and hamburger for a couple of weeks. Use the cheap grade, high fat meat. Make a big pot of it that'll last a while. Might fry and egg (not raw or boiled) for the dog's breakfast for a boost in omega acids. Give a supplement of fish oil, vit. A and D. NO TREATS!!!

If your dog's bed contains wood chips of any kind, especially Cedar, throw it away. Get one filled with polyester fiber.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:23 pm

I would seriously try the fish oil supplement. I've seen it work when I really had my doubts.
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby huntnvet » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:48 am

Sorry to hear about your pup. If you want to fix the problem stop guessing at the cause, and go have your vet run an allergy test for both environment and food stuff. Almost every client is very surprised to find out what their dog is actually allergic too.

Good luck!
huntnvet
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Healthcare