Snorting...need advice

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Snorting...need advice

Postby largefrag » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:59 pm

Need advice. I have a 5 yo DD Who hunts hard and likes to barrel through and under the thick stuff. Recently he has been snorting/ sneezing off and on for the last few weeks after a hunting trip. He does this on occasion after hunting in dense cover but it usually only lasts a few seconds until he snorts out whatever I assume he sucked up his nose but he has still been doing it off and on for the last few weeks off at home. This started a few weeks ago after a hunt in heavy cover. I pulled a ton of trash, grass, seeds etc out of his eyes that day so im guessing he got something in his nose. My vet said probably no big deal and should work itself out but I thought he would have quit by now. He doesn't deal a lot with hunting dogs so I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this or had any ideas and if i should get it checked out more throughly. Thanks.
largefrag
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Snorting...need advice

Postby orhunter » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:41 pm

My old Griff went through an episode that lasted several months. Vet x-rayed her sinuses and we could see "something," a mass. He didn't know what to do so went into a wait and see mode. A few weeks later she went into another snorting, hacking thing and finally spit out a big chunk of what looked like mozzarella cheese. Pretty sure my wife fed it to her.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:01 pm

We get green fox tail and it has very sharp auns, they stick to anything, and are hard to "snort" out. I get a small flashlight and have a good look. If I see something I carefully use long tweezers to get them out.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:33 pm

And if the above doesn't work your vet may have a scope small enough, or you can blindly grab with biopsy forceps, or flush the sinuses from the oral cavity.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare