Spaying and Coat

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Spaying and Coat

Postby CurlyDD » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:53 pm

I have a 22 month old Drahthaar that I'm planning on spaying this winter. The reason I'm planning on spaying her this winter is because her coat isn't up to par in my opinion. Not very thick on the chest/belly and not harsh on the chest/belly. Other than her coat, she's an excellent pup with VJP 71, HZP 180 & HN cert. with VGP next fall.

My question is, if I don't spay her this winter will the hormones from being intact help with future coat development? Or is it pretty much up in the air whether it will help/hurt from here on out.
VDD - Gitta vom Cranberry Creek, VJP - 71, HZP - 180, VGP - Pz.1 306
CurlyDD
Started
Started

Re: Spaying and Coat

Postby SMAbby » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:29 pm

Cant speak for the Drahts, but I have seen plenty of SM's that develop a crappy red tinge to their coats after spaying. My female is one. Now, I notice this on the brown spots only and not the white. Not sure what that is about, but it happened AFTER the spay.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:41 pm

This is probably a question for a canine endocrinologist.
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby huntnvet » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:19 pm

I've spayed/castrated a lot of dogs, and I have never noted, nor have clients returned asking about coat changes. I've also had wirehairs for some time now, and currently have 5.......while not all of them have been altered, the ones that we're, never showed a change in coat. I can't really come up with a good physiologically explanation for why the coat would be affected anyway.

The 2 things that do affect the coat are nutrition and age.
huntnvet
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:55 pm

Coat quality can be changed by spay, but its not predictable. Somewhere there is a fantastic photo gallery of Saluki's pre and post spay, and their coat changes are dramatic - but their coats are wierd to begin with. In most breeds, it actually causes the undercoat to become thicker.

Veterinary dermatology
Journal site on the Web
Blackwell Science, (Published since 1989)
eISSN: 1365-3164; pISSN: 0959-4493; Bimonthly, 2001-
Volume 19 | Issue 2 (April 2008)

Spaying-induced coat changes: the role of gonadotropins, GnRH and GnRH treatment on the hair cycle of female dogs
Vet Dermatol. April 2008;19(2):77-87.
Iris Margaret Reichler1; Monika Welle; Christine Eckrich; Ursula Sattler; Andrea Barth; Madeleine Hubler; Claudia S Nett-Mettler; Wolfgang Jöchle; Susi Arnold
1Section of Small Animal Reproduction, Clinic of Reproductive Medicine, Vetsuisse Faculty, University of Zurich, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland.
Companion Notes

Companion Notes are VIN generated expanded abstracts containing greater detail

Article Abstract

Although spaying can result in qualitative hair coat changes in dogs, the influence of spaying on the hair growth cycle has never been described. The study aims were to examine the effect of spaying and gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) treatment on canine hair coat, cycle stages of hair follicles, plasma gonadotropin concentrations and mRNA transcription of luteinizing hormone (LH) and GnRH receptors in hair follicles. Fifteen female dogs were examined before and 1 year after spaying and 24 spayed dogs before and after GnRH treatment. Spaying resulted in increased plasma gonadotropin concentrations and increased anagen : telogen ratio of hair follicles, but only 20% of the dogs developed coat changes. No differences were found in mRNA transcription of LH and GnRH receptors. GnRH treatment resulted in reduced plasma gonadotropin concentrations and improvement of coat changes in 79% of patients. This was associated with an increase in catagen hair follicles without changes in the anagen : telogen ratio. The present study demonstrated that spaying had an effect on the anagen : telogen ratio of hair follicles. Spaying-induced coat changes did not correlate with the anagen : telogen ratio. GnRH treatment reduced gonadotropin concentrations and reversed coat changes in some dogs, but had no effect on the hair growth cycle other than increasing the number of catagen hair follicles. A weak positive correlation between the plasma LH concentration and the anagen : telogen ratio was noted; however, our data did not suggest a direct receptor-mediated hormonal effect on the hair follicle. The present study did not identify the pathomechanism of spaying-induced coat changes.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:25 pm

Aha - It was Afghan hounds that I have an article on, took me forever to find it because I was searching the wrong breed.

Here's the link!

http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=27205
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:38 am

Curly,

First, I'd like to commend you on your intention to not just exploit your pup for the almighty $. Too many take the opposite tack and try to justify breeding substandard to exploit their pups.

However, based on your pup's scores... I'd get a second opinion on the coat and potential to develop (or not) with age, season, etc. I agree that the under belly and legs are where it counts (or where Mike Schell refers to as the rubber meets the road). It was one of the disqualifiers for me to decide on spaying my pup this summer (along with her size, and 3 successive false pregnancies).

The false pregnancies were the final straw. The spay eliminated them and we could forget about worrying about pyo' and other such uterine issues. It was an easy decision.

Personally, I'd hold off on the spay until after VGP at least. See if she generates any interest with a reasonable sample of guys interested in pups and make a final decision on that. We all know that there are more than enough litters each year and some breeders have been carrying over pups beyond when they'd like to place them.

You take care, and if we ever cross paths I'd like to buy a guy like you a beer or a few. It is damn seldom I meet someone with one of these pups who isn't so itching to jump on the litter wagon and actually can be objective (if not too objective) about his own dog... truly a breath of fresh air.

Best regards,

3drahthaars
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby CurlyDD » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:38 pm

Thanks for all the replies, definitely helped get a better understanding on spaying and coat.

I've decided to wait until next Winter to get her spayed. Go through VGP and maybe a breed show before spaying her. Only downside is I have to be a responsible owner for the next year!! :D
VDD - Gitta vom Cranberry Creek, VJP - 71, HZP - 180, VGP - Pz.1 306
CurlyDD
Started
Started

Return to Healthcare